• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CC Summons, Tomlin Order and outright threats in black and white... Please advise.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CC Summons, Tomlin Order and outright threats in black and white... Please advise.

Good morning and thank you in advance for reading.

I was wondering if I could ask for some advice.

I have a historic debt from a buy now pay later company dating back to 2017 which sold to Perch and officially registered as a default in 2019. For clarity, the debt was around £450 but was subject to a dispute on the grounds of faulty goods. I went to the BNPL company for help, but they refused and therefore out of principal I also refused to pay. Although irrelevant to the claimant, at that period I had just lost both of my parents within 35 days of each other so if I am honest, it was just the least of my problems. I never heard anything for over 2 years and on my credit file this shows as satisfied and closed by the original creditor.

At the beginning of this year, I started getting calls, emails and letters from perch’s (fake?) solicitors TMLS threatening to take me to court unless I paid. I can only imagine that they were alerted by the fact that I am actively repairing and building my credit history, which was not terrible but needed attention, including this default. I spoke to the company and made an offer of payment over time. They refused and said it would have to paid off in full. I then received a CC Summons for nearly £600… Again, I rang and made an offer to which they said they would only accept if over 2, possibly 3 payments but the judgement hearing would go ahead regardless. I decided to reply to the summons, stating that I refused because not only was the original goods damaged and was left in dispute, but the debt was marked satisfied by the original creditor also that I had made 2 payment in full offers which were refused. I explained that I was under the impression that settlement between the 2 parties should be sought by all means and that court should be a final option.

I was then copied in on an email from TMLS to the court, which read as follows…

Dear Sir/Madam,

Perch Capital Limited v xxxxxxxx
    Claim Number: xxxxxxx

We act on behalf of the Claimant.

We are in receipt of the Defendant’s submitted defence, and we write to confirm that the Claimant wishes to proceed with the Claim.

Also please find attached a completed directions questionnaire.

Thank you for your kind assistance. We await further directions from the Court

Again, I rang TMLS and made an offer of payment over instalments to which they refused and said that even payment in full would not stop the proceedings.

I rang the CC business centre to ask for advice and to why I was not given the chance of mediation and they said to wait for the directions questionnaire and fill in and return requesting mediation. I rung and told TMLS that this was my intention…

Shortly afterwards a rep from TMLS rang me back and offered me a tomlin/consent order… I said I wanted time to investigate what this meant to me. They then sent me this email to which I am astounded. You will see from the bottom that they are actively threatening me that if I do not accept this and continue my defence or mediation track by the said date, they will look to press for all costs etc…

Perch Capital Limited v xxxxxxx
    Claim Number: xxxxxxxx
    Our Reference: xxxxxxx

We write further to the above matter and your recent telephone conversations.

Our client has already incurred significant costs in bringing this claim against you and further costs will be incurred should the matter proceed further as we shall need to prepare our clients evidence as well as prepare for and arrange attendance at Trial.

Through reading the contents of your Defence, we believe that we can potentially agree on a Tomlin Order to repay the balance. If agreed, a Tomlin Order will prevent a County court Judgment being entered against you, providing payments are maintained. This would need to be for the full balance outstanding.

Further, the Tomlin Order would also come with a £108.00 fee as charged by the Courts. This would be added onto the balance prior to drafting the Order. If you think this would be suitable for you, please confirm this to our office by 15th July 2022.

An order has been drafted and is attached to this email for you to review and sign.

In the event that this would not be suitable for you, we wish to inform you that we intend to apply for all costs incurred from you in addition to the amount already claimed against you, in accordance with CPR 27.14(2)(g). Said application will be made on the grounds of ‘unreasonable conduct’ in that you have brought a frivolous and vexatious defence before the Court, which has no merit. Our costs, a statement of which will be provided prior to Trial, may be substantial and will incur any disbursements incurred for attendance of our advocate at the hearing.

Can they do this? Should I accept a tomlin order? Should I pay in full?

I really don’t want to attend court, mainly because of anxiety issues but also, I feel that not only was the original agreement in dispute and the debt marked satisfied, but they have reused numerous payment offers flatly and also now seem to be threatening me. I can’t believe if they were reputable solicitors that they would use that kind of language. It seems a bit juvenile.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tags: None

Experience regards Court procedures in County Court. A room like a large living room. You will sit opposite the Judge, and the person representing Perch will sit in the room also, no formalities, Perch will state /outline their case, and you then state the true facts to the Judge, stating that you were sent/sold faulty good, that you have informed Perch that the original seller was advised and accepted and that you have a statement from the original seller that the debt was satisfied, that is your case and feel you have been brought to Court for no good reason. It is all very informal and not a thing to concern yourself over, Take a pad with you and make all your notes to remind you of the case when you speak to the Judge, as you are certain to mix things up.

Comment

Originally posted by DE DOGS View Post
      Experience regards Court procedures in County Court. A room like a large living room. You will sit opposite the Judge, and the person representing Perch will sit in the room also, no formalities, Perch will state /outline their case, and you then state the true facts to the Judge, stating that you were sent/sold faulty good, that you have informed Perch that the original seller was advised and accepted and that you have a statement from the original seller that the debt was satisfied, that is your case and feel you have been brought to Court for no good reason. It is all very informal and not a thing to concern yourself over, Take a pad with you and make all your notes to remind you of the case when you speak to the Judge, as you are certain to mix things up.
      Hi Thanks for your reply... Firstly I do NOT want to go to court no matter how informal. Secondly I don't or didn't state that original creditor accepted and was satisfied, my apologies if that wasn't clear. Just that I hadn't heard from them for 2 years after the dispute and then it was noted on my file as 'Satisfied".

Comment

You need to stay calm.

What date did you receive the Claim?

Have you Acknowledged Service?

You really shouldn't have responded to them, without some advice. Did you send a copy of your defence to the Court?

Fill in the info below, without personal details, copy and paste back onto thread -

Received a claim? Yes/No:
        Issue Date:
        Have you Acknowledged the Claim?:
        Total Amount Claimed : ( approximately please do NOT use EXACT figure given on the claim form, round up to next £100 or £1000)
        Claimant’s Name:
        Solicitors Firm:
        Original Creditor:
        Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) :
        Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):
        Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?):
        List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ):
        Any Other Information or Background Details:

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
          You need to stay calm.

What date did you receive the Claim?

Have you Acknowledged Service?

You really shouldn't have responded to them, without some advice. Did you send a copy of your defence to the Court?

Fill in the info below, without personal details, copy and paste back onto thread -

Received a claim? Yes/No:
          Issue Date:
          Have you Acknowledged the Claim?:
          Total Amount Claimed : ( approximately please do NOT use EXACT figure given on the claim form, round up to next £100 or £1000)
          Claimant’s Name:
          Solicitors Firm:
          Original Creditor:
          Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) :
          Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):
          Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?):
          List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ):
          Any Other Information or Background Details:
          Hi and thank you very much for replying! I have copied in below but detailed info is in my original post. I sent my defence online to the court.

Received a claim? Yes/No: Yes
          Issue Date: 13.05.22
          Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: Yes
          Total Amount Claimed : 600
          Claimant’s Name: Perch Capital
          Solicitors Firm: TM Legal Services
          Original Creditor: Dividebuy
          Original Debt BNPL
          Particulars of Claim: As above
          List any letters you have sent: Only a defence outlining the same as above
          Any Other Information or Background Details: As above

Comment

Originally posted by Noobie View Post

Hi and thank you very much for replying! I have copied in below but detailed info is in my original post. I sent my defence online to the court.

Received a claim? Yes/No: Yes
            Issue Date: 13.05.22
            Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: Yes
            Total Amount Claimed : 600
            Claimant’s Name: Perch Capital
            Solicitors Firm: TM Legal Services
            Original Creditor: Dividebuy
            Original Debt BNPL
            Particulars of Claim: As above
            List any letters you have sent: Only a defence outlining the same as above
            Any Other Information or Background Details: As above
            Did you send a copy of your Defence to the Court?

Have you got any household insurance policies? Do you have legal expenses cover under the insurance policy?

This is an example Defence, what you could / should of sent to the Court / Creditors solicitors - https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-court-claims/

Ring the Court explain that you want to amend your Defence, see if they will allow you to do it.
            Although the time has long passed, the procedure is that you fill in a form and pay money, no doubt their solicitors might object. They know you raised a genuine dispute with the BNPL company.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X