• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Count Court Claim Lowells/Overdales

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Count Court Claim Lowells/Overdales

Hi,

I hope you can help. I'm trying to help my friend who is not computer literate who has received a County Court Claim for accounts taken out in his name by his ex.

Details:
    Issue Date: 7.6.2022
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: Yes
    Total Amount Claimed : £7,200
    Claimant’s Name: Lowell Portfolio Ltd
    Solicitors Firm: Overdales
    Original Creditor: JD Williams and Capital One
    Original Debt Credit card x 2, catalogue x 2
    Particulars of Claim:
    The claim comprises the following Agreements the defendant entered into:
    a. JD Williams & Co Ltd Ref ..... Current balance £.........
    b. JD Williams & Co Ltd Ref ..... Current balance £.........
    c. Capital One (Europe) Plc Ref ..... Current balance £........
    d. Capital One (Europe) Plc Ref ..... Current balance £........

The agreements were terminated as payments were not maintained and susequently assigned to the claiment.
    And the claimant claims
    a) The total sum of ......
    b) interest at the rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue, but limited to 1 year, being £......
    c) costs

Is the debt Statute Barred - No

List any letters you have sent - eg: CCA & CPR sent on 13th June - Notices of assigments are the only documents that have been recieved on 30th June along with a letter listing dates accounts were opened and balances.

Any Other Information or Background Details:

My friend did not take these accounts out. They were taken using his details and an email that she had set up similar to his actual email but a gmail account rather than his actual Virgin Media email. She paid them for a few months then stopped. She destroyed all letters received and only admitted all of this when the County Court Claim form arrived.

This is the draft defence we have written so far, and we would appreciate help in making sure this is correct. I'm also confused as to if he should deny or admit he took the credit out point 4 as he genuinely did not know about these accounts and it seems wrong to admit to them.

1.The Defendant received the claim xxxxxxxxxxxxx from the County Court Business Centre on 11th June 2022.

2.Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is denied unless specifically admitted in this Defence.

3.This claim appears to be for Catalogue Accounts and Credit Card agreements regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

4.It is admitted / denied that the Defendant has entered into agreements with JD Williams and Capital One for provision of credit.

5.The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.

6.The Claimant’s Particulars of Claim [fail to state when the agreements were entered into.

7.The Claimants statement of case states that the accounts were assigned from JD Williams and Capital One. The Defendant does not recall receiving notice of this assignment.

9.It is denied that JD Williams and Capital One served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant. The Claimant is required to prove that the any Default notice relied upon complied with the requirements of s88(4A) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and that the notice was in the prescribed form as required by The Consumer Credit Enforcement Default and Termination Notice Regulations 1983.

10.On the 13th June The Defendant sent a request for inspection of documents mentioned in the claimant’s statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to Overdales Solicitors. I requested the Claimant provide copies of the Agreement, Default Notice and Notice of Assignment.

11.Overdales Solicitors has not sent default notices or the Agreements to the Defendant. Notice of Assignments have been sent.

12. On the 13th JuneThe Defendant sent a formal request for a copy of the original agreement to Lowells pursuant to section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee.

13.The Claimant has failed to comply with s 78 (1) (Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of 78 (6) Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement.

14.Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore, it is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.

16.The Defendant respectfully requests the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for The Defendant to fully plead his case else the Claim should stand struck out.

17.In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimant, the Defendant will then be in a position to amend his defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.

18.It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.

Statement of Truth

I believe that the facts stated in this Defence are true. I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.

Signed ________________________________

Thank you in advance,

James

Tags: None

Hi Luna

The following really doesn't make sense,

'My friend did not take these accounts out. They were taken using his details and an email that she had set up similar to his actual email but a gmail account rather than his actual Virgin Media email. She paid them for a few months then stopped. She destroyed all letters received and only admitted all of this when the County Court Claim form arrived.'

a) Why would your friend make payments, if she didn't open the accounts?

b) Has the matter been reported to the police? If that hasn't been done, then that is something that should be done.

Comment

Hi Echat11

Sorry, I didn't explain that very well.

a) His ex used his personal details to set up the accounts without his knowledge and made a fake email account, she made a few minimum payments (they had separate bank accounts) and destroyed all letters/statements.

He worked long hours and was away a lot so he had no idea about them until this claim arrived, at which point she panicked and gave it to him.

He has now found overt £20,000 worth of debt in his name and really doesn't know what to do.

b) He hasn't reported it, he didn't think he could. He's very worried that he will be held responsible as she is his wife.

They have only just separated, this was the straw that broke the camels back now this has all come to light.

To be honest he is a mess at the moment and he only has to Sunday to file his defence and he doesn't want to do anything that would hurt his kids as they are all still at school and he is worried she will stop him seeing them.

I have looked at Action fraud website with him, would this be the best place to report it and should this them be added to point 4 on the defence form?

Comment

a) Report it through Action Fraud, make a note of the Crime Reference number. You'll need evidence that a fraud has been committed, you say the following 'was away a lot', that might help if the accounts were set up during that period.

b) Write to both Overdales and Lowell's, explain that the accounts were taken out fraudulently, make sure you add the Crime Reference Number to the letter. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

c) No. 4 should be as follows:- 4.It is denied that the Defendant has entered into agreements with JD Williams and Capital One for provision of credit.

d)You've got one of those, bracket - in the point - remove it - '6.The Claimant’s Particulars of Claim [fail to state when the agreements were entered into.'

e) You need to re-number the points 1 to 16.

f) You need to send a copy to the Court (you can do that online via MCOL) and a Copy to their solicitors, Overdales, make sure you get Proof of Postage (free).

g) Lowell's / Overdales has 28 days to respond to your friends Defence.

Comment

Thank you so much, I'll speak to him to tomorrow and get him to contact Action Fraud.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X