• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ from 3 years ago, thinking about set aside?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ from 3 years ago, thinking about set aside?

Hi guys,

I have a CCJ on my file from 3 years ago from when I was at Uni but only found out about it about 2 years ago. Reason being is that it was for a phone contract that I got in 2017 and I set it up at a term time address so only stayed there from June 2017 to September 2017 then I left. Post for this place gets dropped in the letter hole for the main door and there are 4 flats that use this door. All the mail just sits there in a massive pile and everyone just walks past it or tramples on it.

I left the place in 2017, moved to another student house for 1 term and the CCJ was issued in 2019 so there was no way I would have got the letters.

Someone said to me that I might have a chance at getting the CCJ set aside because I wasn't at the address and had no way to defend myself. Was told to post here and get some advice?

Thanks
    Tags: None

The rules do require you to act promptly.

Did you say that you became aware of this 2 years ago?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      The rules do require you to act promptly.

Did you say that you became aware of this 2 years ago?
      Hi,

Not sure why I said 2 years ago. I became aware of it about a year ago I think maybe less than that, and started paying it back monthly at 50 per month starting December 2021

Comment

Paying the debt is not consistent with disputing it. So, why are you paying? What grounds do you think you may have to dispute liability?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Paying the debt is not consistent with disputing it. So, why are you paying? What grounds do you think you may have to dispute liability?
          I'm not disputing liability. But I have a CCJ marker on my credit report which I'm assuming means I was summoned to court. If I had known I was due in court then I would have been given the chance to pay the amount back within 30 days to have the CCJ removed. I wasn't in a position to pay but the fact it was going to court would have been enough for a family member help me pay it back. I didn't even know what a CCJ was when it was put on my report

The CCJ marker is extremely detrimental to my life, not just in terms of getting credit but its a stopping me entering careers that my degree is related to (Economics). I just had an offer withdrawn from a large investment bank in their operations department due to this CCJ.

Comment

I think that simply getting a court to set this judgement aside may be difficult.

However, if you aplly to set aside, and at the same time agree payment terms with this creditor, or if possible pay the outstanding balance in full, then the creditor may agree that the judgement should be set aside.

Comment

I think that simply getting a court to set this judgement aside may be difficult.

However, if you aplly to set aside, and at the same time agree payment terms with this creditor, or if possible pay the outstanding balance in full, then the creditor may agree that the judgement should be set aside.
              Okay thanks. Do you think perhaps I should say to creditor that I intend to submit to the court for set aside based on the fact I wasn't at the address etc, and that would they be wiling to accept full outstanding payment in return for them to agree to set aside? I will call them tomorrow

Comment

That seems to me to be the wrong way round. If you tell them that you are able to pay in full, why should they agree to do anything for you?

Others may have further thoughts.

Comment

must say confusing want to pay then ask what to do?

Comment

That seems to me to be the wrong way round. If you tell them that you are able to pay in full, why should they agree to do anything for you?

Because I am offering to pay up front and in full in exchange for the CCJ to be set aside by consent and not be marked as a CCJ on my credit file anymore. The debt is with Lowell now who would have bought the debt cheap and so they may have an incentive to recoup their investment quicker

Comment

khjbk

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                        must say confusing want to pay then ask what to do?
                        You obviously haven't read the thread or don't have reading comprehension because that's not what I am asking.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X