• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Settlement - how to stop proceedings? N242A or N244?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Settlement - how to stop proceedings? N242A or N244?

Hello,

I submitted a claim against a ltd company for a breach of contract. The company has offered a settlement that accounts for all issues (the claim and their own counterclaim) and includes the provision of costs for the claim fee. We have received and accepted this offer in writing.

What happens now? The company is unsure as well, and neither of us know whether to submit a consent order asking for discontinuance based on settlement via N244 or to submit an N242A as a Part 36 offer and acceptance. I tried to research what to do next but the majority of websites suggest that discontinuance consent orders for settlement should only be undertaken by a solicitor.

The other issue is of course whether there are any associated fees. I know that the N244 consent order would include a fee of £108, but would an N242A require any payment of fee and allow the proceedings to be considered as settled?

Any information, links, or any suggestions for reading are appreciated - many thanks.
    Tags: None

Form N242A is the formal document used by one party to make a Part 36 offer in according with Part 36 rules and I can't see how can be used in your case. The ltd co. has made an offer which you have accepted so that's it, you have settled on those terms whatever they are.

You haven't told us what stage proceedings are and if the case has been allocated to a track but as a general point it used to be the case when a claim was allocated to small claims and a date for the hearing was set, you could inform the court and they would just remove it from the list. However you may be required by some courts to submit a formal N244 application with a consent order the court can rubber stamp or to discontinue the claim.

If you have already settled for an amount which didn't include the application fees for the consent order, then you aren't able to claim that from the ltd co since you have already agreed terms of settlement. Either you suck up that fee or both sides agree to inform the court and discontinue each of the claims.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
      Form N242A is the formal document used by one party to make a Part 36 offer in according with Part 36 rules and I can't see how can be used in your case. The ltd co. has made an offer which you have accepted so that's it, you have settled on those terms whatever they are.

You haven't told us what stage proceedings are and if the case has been allocated to a track but as a general point it used to be the case when a claim was allocated to small claims and a date for the hearing was set, you could inform the court and they would just remove it from the list. However you may be required by some courts to submit a formal N244 application with a consent order the court can rubber stamp or to discontinue the claim.

If you have already settled for an amount which didn't include the application fees for the consent order, then you aren't able to claim that from the ltd co since you have already agreed terms of settlement. Either you suck up that fee or both sides agree to inform the court and discontinue each of the claims.
      Apologies for not providing you with enough information:
      • The case has been allocated to small claims track
      • The hearing has been set for a date next month but neither party has paid the trial fee yet
      • Offer includes the defendant discontinuing the counterclaim and settling for a monetary amount for % of the claim, as well as the £500 fee incurred for submitting the claim with the court
      Thank you for clarifying, that's been very helpful.

Could I please ask one final question: since it looks like the N244 application is the only way to settle and discontinue proceedings, should I ask the opposing party to send a letter consenting to the offer (including itemising the settlement and what is offered/accepted) and then ask for discontinuance in the N244?

Edit: or should I be seeking adjournment by consent since that would mean neither party would be liable for the £108 fee to submit an application notice with consent?
      Last edited by Leaglet; 29th April 2022, 13:00:PM. Reason: details

Comment

I would suggest you email the court who will be hearing the trial and make sure to put the party names, case number and date of the hearing including the time in the subject line. Copy in the defendant on the email too and explain that the parties have now agreed terms of settlement please can they remove the hearing from the list as it is no longer required and ask the court to confirm by return.

Either they will say that is fine or that you need to make a formal application. However, if the terms of settlement says the defendant will discontinue, then you can suggest they do that without having to spend a penny more and then you do the same.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X