• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Odd behaviour by a Judge in a small claims heating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd behaviour by a Judge in a small claims heating

i had a zoom hearing yesterday. Claim is against a prominent online company.

The solicitor for the Defendant came out with complete nonsense and I made him look the fool he was. Woefully unprepared.

What is odd is that he then asked the Judge to take into account his experiences using the website that is in question, stating I was in effect not being truthful, and the Judge said nothing, and then, he asked the Judge to take into account any of his own potential experiences on said site, and again, the judge said nothing - I am reading today that this sort of thing is completely unacceptable. The Judge should have told the man off for making such a request?

Further, during the solicitor's closing submissions, he disappeared off screen, pretty much at the end of those submissions. The Judge then excused himself to find out what was going on, and then I was ejected from the hearing. i was unable to get back in for the next hour, despite emails back and for to Court. Then the clerk of the court emailed me to tell me the Judge was happy to continue the trial on another date. and that the defendant solicitor can continue to make his submissions on this date! It seems wholly unfair to me, because he now has two weeks or longer to prepare his remarks, and I will not have the same amount of time to rebut them in my closing remarks. I also do not understand how this was all arranged without my being there, nor why the Judge is allowing them now more time to make submissions when they were done before they disappeared from the online meeting.

It all seems very fishy. Please advise me.

HTT.
    Tags: None

The Courts complaints procedure -

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...ints-procedure

https://www.gov.uk/complain-judge-ma...ibunal-coroner

Comment

Thank you. I am hoping for comments on whether the Judge is at fault for the above listed grievances?

Comment

Originally posted by hardtotop View Post
        Thank you. I am hoping for comments on whether the Judge is at fault for the above listed grievances?
        I don't think the Judge has done anything wrong, maybe he should have consulted both sides then come up with a date.

If you feel the solicitor has breached the Code of Conduct, you can complain to the SRA.

Ask the Court for a transcript first.

https://www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/st...ct-solicitors/

Comment

Is it fair re: weeks for a party to formulate a final submission, and no time at all for me to for a rebuttal?

Comment

Originally posted by hardtotop View Post
            Is it fair re: weeks for a party to formulate a final submission, and no time at all for me to for a rebuttal?
            It's not fair, email the Court to point out that it's unfair.

Comment

Can anyone advise on the right of the solicitor in interject his own testimony/experiences into proceedings?

Comment

Can anyone advise on the right of the solicitor in interject his own testimony/experiences into proceedings?

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

I don't see why he shouldn't if it was an attempt to show how easy/hard it was to do something.

It will be for the judge to decide how much weight to give to the solicitor's testimony.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X