• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

s214 claim: Skeleleton argument and case law

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• s214 claim: Skeleleton argument and case law

Hi all,

I have a course case on small claims track for a counterclaim under s214, where previously the Judge had asked to file a indexed bundle which I have done.

But, Skeleton argument was not added as it was filed month ago.

Nearer to the hearing, I would like to file a Skeleton argument. What is the process for doing it so pls?

courts have not asked for it explicitly? am I still ok to email the courts?

I do not much about Skeleton arguments, let alone how to file them.

But, I do believe I have a strong case and since I am LiP, I wanted the Judge to see some form of written document as my written skills are bit better than verbal and I can make my arguments strongly in written form.

any advice would be much appreciated..

thanks
    Tags: None

Hi des8 or seniors, any advice me on the above pls?

Comment

Unusual to produce skeleton argument for small claims track, but if you do there is a guide here: https://hallellis.co.uk/write-skeleton-argument/

Courts are a bit behind at the moment so I would email 3-4 days before trial (and copy in defendant)

Comment

thanks des8 , that link is very useful.

In legal arguments, looks like we can site legal authorities like uperstrike Ltd v Rodrigues, which I can find in https://www.bailii.org/ by Googling.

But, what about cases like LIAW V SOHAL, I could not find it.

so, is

a) only cases that goes to appeal are available on Bailli?
        b) can unreported cases such as LIAW V SOHAL also mentioned on skeleton arguments and be relied upon in court?

Comment

Have you tried approaching the court for a copy of the record?
          'Liaw v Sohal. Central London County Court, 10 January 2019.
          https://www.gov.uk/apply-transcript-...ibunal-hearing

County Court cases are rarely recorded on Bailii, but if you obtain a copy of court record you could use it.
          If not available you can throw it in anyway.
          You do realise there have apparently been contrary findings by other courts and County Court cases are only suasive?

Comment

thanks again des8 .

I do not think Ihv time to get copy of this case as my hearing is just a week away.

I will just include it inmy Skeleton argument, hope the judge can read about it somehow..

No, I am not aware of other findings, could you mention the cases pls. I will go through them and understand so that I can present my case and defend points accordingly ?

Comment

Your Skeleton should be a concise version of your case which assists the judge in understanding the matter in dispute
              I would not be putting up opposing arguments in order to knock them down.
              You will have to put forward your case orally, so do not depend on your skeleton

If you do reference LIAW V SOHAL, be prepared for Judge to ask for copy.
              What you should do is read the arguments used in that case and use those points yourself.
              Don't just refer to it and expect the judge to be aware of it

Comment

thanks des8 .

I just hope I can get a copy of Liaw v SOHAL somehow as that case is very similar to mine.

any other cases like above you are aware of it pls- both for and against pls?

also, what criteria a case has to meet, for it to become a case-law? is Liaw v SOHAL a case-law?

Comment

re case law: in a common law system such as ours the courts develop the laws enacted by parliament. By deciding a disputed point of law a senior court can change or clarify the law, thereby setting a precedent which other lower courts are bound to follow or apply in later cases.
                  Decisions in the County Courts are not binding in other courts.

Howard Davies v Scott Clerkenwell and Shoreditch County Court, 18 January 2018
                  Landlord had penalty of 3X deposit, but claim for 2 penalties dismissed

Also a list in this website: https://depositcompensation.co.uk/su...l-court-cases/

Cases apparently in favour of landlord:
                  Tiensia v Universal Estates,
                  Potts v Densley,

I haven't looked at any of these cases and don't know why the courts decided the way they did. I just put them out there for you to do your research

Comment

thanks this is exactly what I was looking for..I will research them..cheers!

so file this unbinding, it is ok to include them in the Skeleton argument right, just to confirm.

Comment

You can include them, but they will carry little weight, especially if you don't have the court transcript

Comment

Hi @des8,

I have went through all the links above and researched and understood all about them.

It would be a shame if I could not find 'a document' of this case in time for my hearing which is a week away. regarding this document, I hv seen these three legal jargon are used. Could you pls tell me if they are same and if different and they each can be relied upon on court?

a) copy of the record (to be asked by contacting the relevant county court)
                        b) Transcript (I think this is an example: https://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/forma.../2013/669.html)
                        c) Judgement order (an example would be https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/Misc/2015/B18.pdf)

Thanks

Comment

Hi des8 / Celestine any chance either of you give some info regarding the above please?

Comment

Have you researched whether it’s available on a premium LexisNexis type subscription?
                            "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Also as per my advice on other thread, contact Shelter, they may be able to help get hold of that judgment.
                              "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X