• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Penalty for failing to protect deposit and small claims cost award

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penalty for failing to protect deposit and small claims cost award

Hi,

My previous landlord had brought a ridiculous money claim against me. I counterclaimed for failing to protect deposit and landlord now wants to settle out of court.

I understand the penalty for failing to protect the deposit is 1-3 times + the deposit itself and what multiple to apply (1 or 3 times) depends on the exact circumstances.

But is there anywhere I can find (some central registry perhaps) what has been the previous awards been for past cases, so that I can assess how much likely I am going to get in my case.

Also, in small claims track, is cost award is made so that I can assess if I will be liable for any of claimants legal costs?

Thanks

Tags: None

What is your landlords claim against you for?

Costs are as a rule not awarded in small claims (there are exceptions) but legal fees are not awarded.

You cannot counterclaim for a monetary value for not using the deposit scheme because you have suffered no loss.

You can however report him to the relevant authorities for failing to use the deposit scheme.

if you lost your deposit that figure is all you can claim for.
    Last edited by EnglandPi; 6th February 2022, 12:05:PM.

Comment

thanks for the reply. Are you sure it is only the amount I can claim for? because the citizen advice (link below) mentions upto 3 times.

re cost awards in small claims track, so only legal fees are awarded right, just to be clear?

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ho...deposit-rules/

Comment

In small claims court legal fees are normally NOT awarded. Some costs, such as court fees etc are claimable but legal costs no.

Comment

ah ok..very clear on the cost award.

How about the potential claim for failing to protect deposit ?

Howard v Dalton gives some info on how to calculate number of breaches and the amount awarded..

is there anywhere else I could do similar research on previous laws?

Comment

The citizens advice is referring to compensation.

The Courts dont like awarding compensation in my experience but you can try.

Comment

You can most definitely claim up to 3 x the deposit

There are two sanctions for failure to comply with s.213, they are:
              1. No section 21 notice can be served, and
              2. The tenant or relevant person may claim 1-3 times the value of the tenancy deposit.
              read some cases here: https://landlordadvice.co.uk/defendi...m-under-s-214/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X