• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot/MortimerClarke/GEMoney

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claim No: J4

CABOT FINANCIAL (UK) LTD

Claimant

And

HG

Defendant

DEFENCE

1.The Defendant received the claim J from the Northampton County Court on Saturday 15th January 2022.

2.Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is denied unless specifically admitted in this Defence.

3.This claim appears to be for a Loan agreement regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

4.It is denied that the Defendant has entered into and agreement with GE MONEY for provision of credit.

5.The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.

6.The Claimant’s Particulars of Claim state that the agreement was entered into on 01 December 2006.

7.The Defendant contends the alleged debt is statute barred by virtue of Section 5 of the Limitations Act 1980 in that no payment or acknowledgment has been made for over 6 years

8.The Claimants statement of case does not state that the account was assigned from GE MONEY to CABOT FINANCIAL (UK) LTD. The Defendant does not recall receiving notice of this assignment.

9.It is denied that GE MONEY served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant. The Claimant is required to prove that the any Default notice relied upon complied with the requirements of s88(4A) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and that the notice was in the prescribed form as required by The Consumer Credit Enforcement Default and Termination Notice Regulations 1983.

10.On the 17th January The Defendant sent a request for inspection of documents mentioned in the claimant’s statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to MORTIMER CLARKE SOLICITORS LTD. I requested the Claimant provide copies of the Agreement, Default Notice and Notice of Assignment.

11. MORTIMER CLARKE SOLICITORS has not sent any of these documents to the Defendant.

12.On the 17th JANUARY The Defendant sent a formal request for a copy of the original agreement to CABOT FINANCIAL (UK) LTD pursuant to section [77 or 78] of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee.

13.The Claimant has failed to comply with [s77 (1) / s 78 (1)] Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of [s77 (4) / s 78 (6)] Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement.

14. The Defendant have asked the Claimant if we may agree to extend the time period allowed for filing of the defence pending receipt of documents (as allowed under CPR 15.5), but they have declined. [The Parties agreed to an extension to the time period allowed for filing of the defence under CPR 15.5 to allow the Claimants additional time to produce the relevant documentation to evidence their claim, however they have failed to do so.]

15.Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore, it is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.

16.The Defendant respectfully requests the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for The Defendant to fully plead his case else the Claim should stand struck out.

17.In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimant, the Defendant will then be in a position to amend his defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.

18.It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.

Statement of Truth

The Defendant believes that the facts stated in this Defence are true.

Signed ________________________________

Dated ________________________________

Not sure how to respond to 14? Should I just delete it?
    Thank you so much for your help with this. It really is appreciated.

Comment

You need to amend 12 and 13:
      • Fixed sum Credit (S77): Loans
      • Variable Sum Credit (S78): Credit Cards, Catalogues
      • Hire Purchase (S79): HP agreements
      12.On the 17th JANUARY The Defendant sent a formal request for a copy of the original agreement to CABOT FINANCIAL (UK) LTD pursuant to section [77 or 78] of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee.

13.The Claimant has failed to comply with [s77 (1) / s 78 (1)] Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of [s77 (4) / s 78 (6)] Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement.

Remove 14 all together

14. The Defendant have asked the Claimant if we may agree to extend the time period allowed for filing of the defence pending receipt of documents (as allowed under CPR 15.5), but they have declined. [The Parties agreed to an extension to the time period allowed for filing of the defence under CPR 15.5 to allow the Claimants additional time to produce the relevant documentation to evidence their claim, however they have failed to do so.]

Don't forget to adjust the numbers after removing 14.

Comment

All done. Again thank you. I shall submit this now. And make a donation :-)

Comment

Originally posted by honeygrey View Post
          All done. Again thank you. I shall submit this now. And make a donation :-)
          Thank you very much. Don't forget to update the thread.

Comment

Still no documents received. But did get a letter from Mortimer Clarke.
            "We confirm we have received your defence."
            "We have referred to our clients for comments and will come back to you as soon as we have our clients instructions"
            "This may take some time, especially if our client needs to go back to the original creditor for information and/or documentation to respond to your defence. In the meantime, the matter has been placed on hold and no further action will be taken"

I am guessing this is just a stay? Do I need to do anything Re: MCOL? The file has not been updated since my defence was recorded.
            thanks guys!

Comment

Still no documents received. But did get a letter from Mortimer Clarke.
              "We confirm we have received your defence."
              "We have referred to our clients for comments and will come back to you as soon as we have our clients instructions"
              "This may take some time, especially if our client needs to go back to the original creditor for information and/or documentation to respond to your defence. In the meantime, the matter has been placed on hold and no further action will be taken"

I am guessing this is just a stay? Do I need to do anything Re: MCOL? The file has not been updated since my defence was recorded.
              thanks guys!
              Pretty standard, no you don't need to do anything regards MCOL. They are always late updating stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

Pretty standard, no you don't need to do anything regards MCOL. They are always late updating stuff.
                Back again. I have received a letter from Mortimer Clarke saying Cabot would like to settle this without further court action for a reduction of 30%. I have still not received a single requested document from either Mortimer Clarke or Cabot. MCOL has not been updated. The last update on there was my defence submitted 11th February. Should I just call them and tell them no? Ignore it? Or ask about the documentation requested. They really have left me flabbergasted this morning.

Comment

Sit on hands unless told different here

Comment

If this was a GE Loan, may i ask a couple of questions

Firstly, what was it for?

Secondly, was there ppi included?

I ask because i dealt with a GE Loan that was declared unenforceable as far back as 2010 in a case called Link Financial v Opie , so thought id ask just to be sure
                    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                      Sit on hands unless told different here
                      I intend to. Advice has been faultless so far.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                        If this was a GE Loan, may i ask a couple of questions

Firstly, what was it for?

Secondly, was there ppi included?

I ask because i dealt with a GE Loan that was declared unenforceable as far back as 2010 in a case called Link Financial v Opie , so thought id ask just to be sure
                        As stated in the first post. I have never taken a loan out with GE. I have absolutely no idea as to what it pertains to.

Comment

As stated in the first post. I have never taken a loan out with GE. I have absolutely no idea as to what it pertains to.
                          Lombard Trinity? First National? GE money took over a lot of companies, is it possible you had a loan with one of the subsidiary companies?

Im sorry i havent had chance to sit down and read each post word for word, im currently preping for a High Court hearing next week so my time is limited.

Also, rather than sitting on your hands, why not consider a counter offer, why not make a claderbank offer often referred to as Without Prejudice Save as to Costs, on the basis that they discontinue and each party bear their own costs. not engaging when a party makes an offer can come back to bite you if youre not careful, and if youre right that you never borrowed from GE money, then it will give you a good argument yourself on costs if you win at trial. offering them the option to go away is never a bad thing.
                          I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post

Lombard Trinity? First National? GE money took over a lot of companies, is it possible you had a loan with one of the subsidiary companies?

Im sorry i havent had chance to sit down and read each post word for word, im currently preping for a High Court hearing next week so my time is limited.

Also, rather than sitting on your hands, why not consider a counter offer, why not make a claderbank offer often referred to as Without Prejudice Save as to Costs, on the basis that they discontinue and each party bear their own costs. not engaging when a party makes an offer can come back to bite you if youre not careful, and if youre right that you never borrowed from GE money, then it will give you a good argument yourself on costs if you win at trial. offering them the option to go away is never a bad thing.
                            Thanks. I would absolutely consider this, if I had any idea as to what it relates to. The date they allege I took out a loan - I had just sold my house, so it makes no sense that I would have taken out a loan. It's baffling.

Comment

Quick update: Received a letter from Cabot.

Your account is no longer with our solicitors. It has been returned to Cabot Financial. You don't need to do anything and no further action will be taken to collect your outstanding balance. If this account is on your credit file, we will continue to report it as outstanding.

Couple of questions:
                              The claim is still sitting on MCOL, the last action being me submitting a defence, do I apply to the court to have it removed?

Can it remain on my credit file, despite them not providing a scrap of evidence to support their claim?

Again, my very grateful thanks to you guys, absolutely invaluable help!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X