• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ set aside claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ set aside claim

Hi can someone give this a once over? I am applying to get a CCJ set aside: Do I also need a Witness Statement?

I ask the court to make the judgment in this case (Claim No. XXX Judgment dated 31/10/2019) be set aside.

2: CPR 13.3 states (1) In any other case, the court may set aside or vary a judgment entered under Part 12 if –

(a) the defendant has a real prospect of successfully defending the claim; or

(b) it appears to the court that there is some other good reason why –

(i) the judgment should be set aside or varied; or

(ii) the defendant should be allowed to defend the claim.

3. I learnt of the existence of this claim on the 4th April 2021 when I Checked my Credit File

4. My address changed 19 April 2017 and a redirection service was in place through iammoving.com.

5. The debt in question was accrued in 2013 and was an electricity bill. The amount originally being demanded by Churchill Recovery was £2301.44. I have proof of 25 messages of myself and the debt collection company chasing a bill of £2301.44 which I was challenging as to its authenticity. I have these messages as proof, if required. Then contacted Spark Energy and they conducted a full review of my account.The review concluded the amount being demanded was incorrect and Spark Energy were at fault. I have email proof of this review and its findings (see attached evidence). The actual amount due was £757.15. A difference of £1544.29. I then set up a direct payment of £50 per month direct to Spark Energy to clear this debt. I made many payments over the next
    few years until I had reduced the amount to approximately £200 owed. I called Spark Energy and agreed with them the remaining £200 should be waived (verbally on the phone). They had previously offered to reduce the amount to £600 (see attached exhibit A) so I thought it was a genuine offer:

On 16/10/2021 I made a written/telephone request to the Claimant/Solicitors inviting them to consent to set aside the judgment due to the reasons in paragraph 4.

7. The Claimant did not respond to my request.

8. I therefore respectfully request that the Court sets aside the judgment in this claim and allows 14 days for me to submit my defence.

Tags: None

Hi Paul

R0b Can you take a look please and advise, many thanks.

Comment

Isn't what you have posted your witness statement? Where you do propose to put that chunk of information in the application form?
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi Rob. I was going to basically repeat that in the application form. Hi I have settled a CCJ (not within one month). If I apply for set side, is it still possible to lose?

Comment

i dont want to apply for a set aside and then lose the court case and start from the 6 years again. But is that even possible as I have settled the CCJ?

Comment

You might struggle to get a set aside because you've chosen to pay the debt which means there's an admission of liability. If you didn't want to admit liability or have a reason to set aside the default judgment then you shouldn't have paid it.

When a judgment is set aside it reverts back to the position where you have to file a defence. From the court's point of view, if the amount has already been paid then there is no case to answer and will be a pointless exercise because there is nothing to adjudicate. You will have to convince the judge otherwise and the only way I can think of you getting around this is to get a consent order signed by Spark Energy agreeing to set aside and then dismissing the case.

In short, if you're thinking of disputing or seeking to set aside a default judgment, do not pay whatever the circumstances until after your application has been heard.
            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X