• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help Wanted Contesting An Oversales Solicitors Claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Wanted Contesting An Oversales Solicitors Claim

Received a claim? Yes/No: Yes
    Issue Date: 21/10/21
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: Yes
    Total Amount Claimed : £249.59
    Claimant’s Name: Lowell Portfolio I Ltd
    Solicitors Firm: Oversales
    Original Creditor: Vodafone
    Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) : Broadband
    Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):

The claim is for the sum of £XXX.XX
    due by the Defendant under a
    Vodafone
    account with an account reference of
    XXXXXXXXX
    The Defendant failed to maintain contractual
    payments required under the terms of the
    account agreement.
    The debt was legally assigned to the
    claimant on 26-08-20, notice of
    which has been given to the defendant.
    The claim includes statutory interest under
    S.69 of the Count Courts Act 1984 at a rate
    of 8% per annum from the date of assignment
    to the date of issue of these proceedings in
    the sum of £XX.XX
    The Claimant claims the sum of £XXX.XX

Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?): Unsure
    List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ): See below
    Any Other Information or Background Details:

Going back a while I began to receive claims in writing from Overdales Solicitors for an alleged debt but was not particularly clear what it related to and I initially thought it was a scam. Received a few more letters and eventually a "Letter of Claim - 30 days to prevent legal action". I decided it was perhaps not a scam and completed the "Reply Form" disputing the debt on the basis that I was not aware of what it was and requested a copy of the contract relating to the debt and any other information/evidence they have relating to it.

They then wrote back to me and stated that the debt related to a former Vodafone (mobile phone) account and that the debt was "made of an Airtime Debt value of £152.40". They also stated that they have requested a copy of agreement from Vodafone and that they had suspended any activity on the account in the meantime.

About a month later I received another letter stating that "As the above account is a telecommunications account, it is not regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Therefore the original creditor is not obliged to provide you with a copy of the Agreement or Default Notice." and goes on to say "We have however enclosed a copy of the Statement provided by Vodafone". As it turns out the statement provided had nothing to do with my old mobile phone account or an "Airtime Debt" and was in fact for a Broadband account at my old employer. For no known reason the statement is addressed to me at my old employers address - presumably some kind of admin error as we did have a Broadband account with Vodafone when I worked there (I left at the end of 2018 and the statements begin in August 2019).

The Particulars of Claim state "The Defendant failed to maintain contractual payments required under the terms of the account agreement." which is incorrect as I never paid for or received the Broadband services they have sent statements relating to.

I am not quite sure how to proceed as they have not provided me with a copy of the contract/agreement and as this does not fall within the Consumer Credit Act 1974 I do not know what I am entitled to ask for?

Any help on the best next steps would be greatly appreciated!
    Tags: None

Hi - Welcome

You are going to need to send Subject Access Requests to Vodafone as well as your former employer for details of this alleged account.

In the meantime, so that you do not get a default judgment, you will need to submit a defence. We have a template in the side bar you can base it upon, but this case is a little different. The account is not covered by CCA if it is a mobile OR broadband account, but this is a more simple contractual matter - no contract existed in your name and the SAR to Vodafone/Employer will help prove that. Your defence statement will give a brief summary of the situation you describe and that you await documents from SARs to evidence this.
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X