• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dog Attack Recommendations and Legal Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Attack Recommendations and Legal Advice

Hello,

I hope I have posted to the correct section. Please inform me if I need to make any changes to adhere to the site rules (or more the post to the correct section).

Recently (within the last week) I was attacked by a dog at a relative’s house where I was immediately admitted to hospital and had to undergo surgery, the incident was completely unprovoked from a dog breed which is banned in America but not in the United Kingdom. Moreover, the dog hasn’t undergone any training in its life and the owner of the dog is a relative and hasn’t contacted me to enquire of my well-being and is fully aware of what’s transpired.

The evidence I have collected is as follows; photographs of the damage inflicted to the body, photograph of the dog and its position directly after the incident, two witness statements (in progress), three character statements of the dog owner (in progress), hospital admission and doctor notes.

Damage sustained to the body will result in a permanent large scaring of the area and superficial nerve(s) removed. Plus, mentally the fearfulness of dogs has grown and I may have to reside elsewhere as fears for the owner to be threatening towards me (guaranteed for this to occur) if actions are taken.

Option 1: Proceed with the Police under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 and 2014 Amendment. Do I have the final say if the dog must be muzzled or the ‘destruction of dog’?

Option 2: Settle it privately with the dog owner. Is it legal for me to ask privately for these terms; financial compensation, for the dog to wear a muzzle permanently while not in their registered home, for the dog to be trained and evidence supplied of the dog training, for the dog not to be in the relative household at the same time as me, or to be near me at any time, for a deposit to be made to me for a duration in case the terms aren’t met or are broken.

Option 3: What's the best option to choice via a legal route. No Win No Claims (NWNC) on average take 25% of the financial compensation (do I need to pay them even if the dog owner hasn’t paid/refuses to pay me?). Should I hire a private solicitor/lawyer/paralegal (which one applies in this case)? Does anyone know any good NWNC firms or who to hire? How much does this cost? I've also heard it's possible to claim under home insurance? Also, how much money am I expected to gain from financial compensation? It’s worth noting that the owner of the dog is not employed and the house they reside in is owned by another relative – which can be trouble trying to acquire to money after winning the case. What’s the best way to handle this?

Option 4: Do nothing.

I could really use everyone’s assistance with this one, I appreciate all the help.

Regards,
    Dog Attack Victim
    Tags: None

Hi DogAttack

I hope you make a full recover, a very nasty experience.

What makes it worse is that the dog belongs to a relative who has shown little or no concern about your well-being. The police will do what they have to do under the circumstances. The problem is that if it happens again, someone might not be so 'lucky' and could lose their life. Option 1 isn't available to you. The police will no doubt have 'dog behavior experts' produce reports etc.

You might be able to claim from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...tion-authority

They have live chat - https://claim-criminal-injuries-comp....uk/start-chat
    Last edited by echat11; 12th August 2021, 12:39:PM.

Comment

stick to this thread not multiple

Comment

Try to settle it privately first as they are a relative, however if it does need to go to court, make sure you have all the evidence and dates. We can't offer legal advice but can help you in the right directions. But we hope you get better.

Comment

Option 2 will not happen in my opinion. Option 1 would be matter I believe for magistrates - you could ask them for a certain remedy but do not get the final say. You can also ask for some compensation at that time. Option 3 is a personal civil claim and your chances of getting anything awarded depend, as you say on the means of the person involved. If they have few assets you have little chance. I am sorry that you have been through this and that your relative will not help.

Comment

A lot of info here - https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidanc...s-dog-offences

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X