• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Judgement by default, how long before requesting a warrant?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judgement by default, how long before requesting a warrant?

Hello!

I have a case going through MCOL. The case is for a faulty cooker.

Issues LBA etc and filed for £70 costs + £25 fee. The defendant did not respond, requested judgement for immediate payment which has been issued.

Questions now....
    How long is reasonable to wait for contact from him for payment before requesting a warrant?

Do I still need to keep this b***dy cooker because it's really in my way!!
    Tags: None

I would write (signed for) to the trader confirming the judgment in your favour and instructing him he has 14 days in which to pay and collect his cooker.
    Advise him that failure to pay will inevitably increase his costs, and that as you consider yourself as an involuntary bailee, in the event he does not collect his cooker, you will dispose of it as per your rights under the Torts (interference with goods) act 1977.

Then if he doesn't pay, proceed

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

I wrote the letter as advised, this time it was signed for by Person B. The LBA was originally signed for by Person A.

Is there a danger that Person A can just say that the shop and all contents belong to Person B?

Comment

The judgement creditor is liable, regardless of who signed for the letter

Comment

Could he say something like 'Well I just work for Person B, I'm not responsible for it', or is he liable regardless now that the judgement has been entered? Is there a get-out for him should I proceed with the warrant?

Comment

If he is named as the judgment creditor he is liable ... the court said so.
              He had the opportunity to defend the claim on basis he was the wrong person (if he is!), but failed to do so and must now take the consequences.

He could possibly apply for the judgment to be set aside, but will cost him more than the judgment!

Comment

Great!

If a bailiff goes to the shop, can he say that the stuff in the shop doesn't belong to him? I think I can get a residential address for him thanks to 192.com, can I add this as a second address for him and is it worth doing?

EDIT: Just checked 192.com and he lives with Person B according to electoral role 2020-21!

Comment

Why not add it? give the Enforcement Agents as much info as possible

Comment

Will do, thanks again! He has until May 7th to respond so I will apply after then.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X