• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

After Set Aside Judgement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Set Aside Judgement

I have successfully had a Claim set aside this afternoon (on the grounds that the Parking company had used ‘trace’ methods initially through DVLA and the stated this afternoon during the hearing they had used Experian, and that I had not received ANY documentation appertaining to their claim.

I received a bundle last week from the Claimant (there were no particulars of their claim within the bundle, however, I managed to file a statement to have this set aside) I asked for my N244 application fees to be paid by the claimant. The DJ Agreed. She did say that I now had to either admit or defend the claim and pointed out to the claimant that I had not had any particulars of their claim)

i received an email from the Claimant approximately one hour later asking me for my bank details so that their ‘file-handlers’ could pay the fees as ordered. They also attached two pages of their original claim.

A of background: I became aware on 21st February, 2021 of a CCJ on my credit file whilst applying for a new mortgage deal. I contacted the court the next day and they gave me some basic details on who and when this was for. The CCJ on my file was placed in November 2020. Despite my attempts to speak to the parking company by phone and email, nothing was forthcoming and so I had to submit the N244 to obtain further information.

the Claimant submitted a statement saying they had sent various correspondence over an 18 month period. Unfortunately, I was able to prove that I had moved from this address (driving Licence , mil re-direct, V5, council tax etc)., a day after this alleged contravention, therefore I had not receiving any of their correspondence, therefore rendering me unable to defend.

The legal firm acting, maintained that they used a reputable ‘tracing’ service to identify registered keepers, namely the DVLA.
    it is alleged that a PCN was applied to a vehicle contravening a parking requirement at the local hospital in April 2019. (If I had been aware of this contravention at the time, even after a letter, I would have paid this without question.

The position now, is that I have to file a defence in relation to this claim, (it doesn’t make sense, original PCN was £70) Debt Recovery Letter owing £100, Notice of Enforcement £160,
    now I have sight of the original claim, it is for £130 including ‘damages’ plus 8% interest, plus court fee and legal fees, amounting to just over £220).
    can anyone help with next steps please - would I just file a defence, similar to the N244 Witness statement, or would I submit another defence?

I am the registered keeper of the vehicle, but I was not the driver.

Thank you
    Tags: None

Have you got the original PCN that was allegedly sent? If so post up a redacted copy of it but leave dates.

Can you show you were not the driver at the time?

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
      Have you got the original PCN that was allegedly sent? If so post up a redacted copy of it but leave dates. No - all I have is a bundle of ‘letters sent’ (to an old address between April 2019 and October 2020) including a photograph that was sent last week after my N244 Application from the claimant showing my vehicle with a notice attached to the windscreen.

Can you show you were not the driver at the time?
      - Yes. I have a different vehicle and was at my workplace at this date and time.

Comment

Within those letters is there a PCN, Notice to Keeper or anything like that? Something that you xan post up, suitably redacted but leave dates

Can you get signed confirmation from work that you were there at the time?

If they are chasing you as the keeper and if they have complied with POFA then they can only hold you liable for the amount of the original PCN (+court charges). Saves a bit if you lose. But if they have not complied with POFA then you win and they pay your costs ( limited amount)

If without a NTK then get back on to them and ask them for it in order to fully plead your case and further the Overriding Objective, as expected under CPR 31.14. If they are not willing to supply then tell them that you will ask the court to order them to supply so that you can amend your defence with the cost falling on the claimant

When building your defence you may care to look here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/16qovzulab...inson.pdf?dl=0
        Last edited by ostell; 19th March 2021, 22:39:PM.

Comment

Thank you
          this was the alleged first correspondence sent (contained within the bundle) - sent to an old address
          Attached Files

Comment

ostell Could I use as a defence the same reasons as I used in the Set Aside Application - ie. documentation sent to an old address?

Comment

Not really, that was the reason you got it set aside, now you have to show you are not liable.

first, you were not the driver and you have evidence to show that.
              second to hold you liable they have to comply with the strict requirements of POFA

They have failed to give the invitation to the keeper in the format prescribed by 8 (2) (e) of POFA and the period of parking required by 8 (2) (a) and therefore they cannot transfer liability to the keeper

Comment

Not really, that was the reason you got it set aside, now you have to show you are not liable.

first, you were not the driver and you have evidence to show that.
                second to hold you liable they have to comply with the strict requirements of POFA

They have failed to give the invitation to the keeper in the format prescribed by 8 (2) (e) of POFA and the period of parking required by 8 (2) (a) and therefore they cannot transfer liability to the keeper
                Thank you - I shall complete a defence on that basis. Although wondering if `I contacted the claimant, and ask them to discontinue the case?
                (the DJ did state on Friday during the set aside hearing, that the majority of their ‘evidence’ was irrelevant as their WS made points as if I had received all of their documentation and ‘should’ have settled this before court claim - she wasn’t happy )

Comment

You could add in any comments about the signage.

Also have a read of this and add in if suitable https://www.dropbox.com/s/16qovzulab...inson.pdf?dl=0

Comment

You could add in any comments about the signage.

Also have a read of this and add in if suitable https://www.dropbox.com/s/16qovzulab...inson.pdf?dl=0

Thank you
                    This gets better!
                    we have asked for a discontinuance of this Claim (not had my response whatsoever from DCB Legal/Bailiffs or whatever they call themselves to date. I have filed the acknowledgment and I am now writing a defence.

In the last week, another separate letter regarding legal action has arrived, now at my correct ‘home address’ - amazing how that is, seeing as they said that all the DVLA and Experian records they check show an old address!

This is Notice of Collection is my name and my address, however, I believe this contravention relates to someone by the ‘same name’ only, due to the vehicle registration number quoted (a relative)

I have written to them stating I know nothing about this matter and the vehicle registration they have quoted has never belonged to me - again no response.

Comment

ostell - really need some help. The defence was a day late being submitted and now judgement has been obtained again for the original claim. I have received nothing from the court since the set aside hearing, no paperwork, no further instructions or anything and now it seems I’m back to square one having a judgement against me. Would you advise apply for set aside again, or pay to make this go away. I really can’t cope with the stress of it all.
                      ostell thank you

Comment

ostell

Comment

So they were quick of the mark in getting the judgement again. I can't comment on the court processes involved or how to raise this with the court. Others will no doubt pick this up.

Comment

So they were quick of the mark in getting the judgement again. I can't comment on the court processes involved or how to raise this with the court. Others will no doubt pick this up.
                            Very quick indeed. I received an email only.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X