• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Discovered CCJ by dodgy Fitness company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discovered CCJ by dodgy Fitness company

Hello!

I have looked up my credit record in order to get a mortgage and discovered a CCJ I didn't know I had from October 2018.

On enquiring with the court, it turns out it's from a company called Fit Farms. It's for £979

I had booked on a course with them for September 2018 and paid £100 deposit in the June. Then I asked in August if I could transfer to a later course as I had an eye infection and wouldn't have been able to do a lot of the water activities.

Other customers on the TripAdvisor site had praised the owner's flexibility around refunds. But he said I'd have to pay the full balance, and would only get a refund if he could sell my place before the course. He then said he hadn't sold my place and I owned him the balance.

Meanwhile, I had investigated the TripAdvisor further and found a number of what looked to be dodgy good reviews from people who had only reviewed on thing before- and lots of bad reviews. I then asked him to express specific concerns raised by the bad reviews- would there be more than one instructor, would we be picked up from the airport? He didn't address these, just told me again I had to pay the balance.

I at that point, said I couldn't understand why he wouldn't address these concerns or let me book on a future course. He then said he would take legal action. I deconstructed his dodgy TripAdvisor reviews and thought that would be the end of the matter...

Now I can't get a house...
    I can see online that someone else got a CCJ from them without notice and what's more when she paid him, he didn't contact the court to inform them and she struggled to get a job in banking.
    They seem no longer to be on TripAdvisor- or Twitter.

My gut is that they are partly a genuine company, and partly sort of have a side scam almost, making money from uncertain bookers and dissatisfied customers.

Do I have any grounds for a set aside?

(The fact I wasn't offered a refund? I did offer to provide a doctor's note.
    The fact the owner did not answer any of my questions or requests for reassurance (put non confrontationally)
    the fact I was not informed of the CCJ?)

I really did want to book onto a future course in good faith, or even attempt to go on the one I was booked on, but there was no attempt to answer my questions at all.

Any help or advice much appreciated.
    Tags: None

I can't advise without seeing a copy of the contract

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X