• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small Claims Problem ?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Claims Problem ?!?

Hello all ...

I'm in the process of being a court claim against a wedding venue that have refused to refund our deposit after our wedding was cancelled due to the pandemic, my question is that they are defusing to give me the trading name of who our contract was with ... the venue is called Moxhull Hall but they are not a LTD company, the 2 people I’m dealing with are husband and wife and are both directors, but of a separate catering company called Annabella Catering, which is registered at Moxhull Hall ... im concerned that if I enter the wrong details the case will be thrown out before it starts ... are there any legal acts that require a business to provide theIt Trading details for which we are in contract with ?

many thanks, Simon
    Tags: None

So what does many communication with the company say? What was on the receipt?

Comment

On all correspondence we’ve had it just states:

Moxhull Hall

We had dinner there a couple of years back, found the online bank transaction and that was also listed as “Moxhull Hall”

When I asked who the contract was with, he simply replied stating that he and his wife were directors and gave the address of the hotel .... yet checking companies house, Moxhull Hall is not a LTD company ... he and his wife are Directors, but of a separate catering company based at the hotel ?!? .... I’m worried as I feel he could be using this as a way of side stepping any claim !!

Comment

So was it a cheque, debit card, credit card payment

Comment

Unfortunately my partner paid the deposit and she paid cash, she received an email receipt which was one of the standard emails we’d had before and had the Moxhull Hall name & address at the bottom.

thanks

Comment

So it's the name of the directors trading as Moxhull Hall. The receipts with the name on show that.
            See what others say about it.

Comment

You can trace if a person is a Director of a limited company here: Search Companies House (company-information.service.gov.uk)

Comment

Ok, that makes sense ... problem is in the government online claims service the only options they give you are:

Individual
                Sole trader
                Ltd company
                Organisation

on both Ltd company & Organisation options you can put company name & contact name ...

I’m at a loss though of what to select ....

Comment

Do you have a VAT number on a receipt?

Comment

Hi des8 ... yes, I found them both and they are both directors, but of a catering company called Annabella Catering, whose registered address is Moxhull Hall Hotel ... but Moxhull Hall is not listed as a LTD company ... ??!

Comment

No VAT number !! .. My partner paid in cash and all she got was an email receipt ... only detail were added to the bottom of the email which was Moxhull Hall and the address

Comment

Every trader in the European Union is required by EU law to properly identify himself to any consumer, and do so on paper or another durable medium. The UK transposition of that law references the relevant Directives in the explanatory note to the Regulations. Despite Brexit the Regulations remain in full force.
                        https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/...lation/10/made
                        If a trader does not comply with the formalities required by Schedule 1 or 2 as the case may be, the following applies.
                        http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...lation/36/made
                        So issue your claim against both companies.

Comment

I think you can use individual and add in the t/a

Looking at their web site the names Andreas & Bobbie Kalavanas appears many times so it can be aduced they are the proprietors t/a Moxhul Hall

Comment

Oops .. should have read back.

In that case sue them personally
                            If they turn round and say your contract was with their limited company you apply to amend your claim at their cost.
                            All limited company documents (including receipts) have to include company name, address and registration number

Sole trader would only show trader's name and any business name being used

Comment

As Moxhull Hall Hotel Limited is dissolved, you claim against both the catering company and the owners of the premises as described in the land registry.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X