• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Taking motor trader to court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking motor trader to court

Hi I’m new here and wonder if anyone can help me pls,,back in July last year we brought a bmw for less than £2000 lovely cat it is but in November I was looking to see wen the mot was due and I noticed it was in 2 wks time well anyway I found a bit of paper it said something about a piston and oil ring I didn’t understand it so got straight on to the phone and messaged the guy who sold it to us his reply was it’s nothing and if there’s any problem we can use the warranty that we had paid extra for it and that was that,,I started to worry more about this so rang up my garage and he told me sounds like a oil ring stick in the piston so messaged the other guy again for him to ignore me this time,,so I threaten to ring up consumer ,well cut a long story short he gave me his colleague number for him to deal with it and he was starting to sort it ,,in the mean time the garage done the mot on it and told up it’s such a big job and will cost a lot of money and he won’t beable to do it as time consuming,,so told this guy all this and he was gonna claim off my warranty and told me he rang them to sort it and tbh I didn’t believe him so I rang the warranty and they told me no one has been in touch with them and they said now it has no mot they can’t touch it so I told the guy all this he rang me back screaming and shouting down the phone at me about not trusting him bla bla,since he ignored me and I have sent 3 letters altogether and now next week I’m paying to take him to the small claims court,,I’m sorry it’s so long but wanted to know plps views on this like am I wasting my time,,we are still paying tax and insurance on this my partner is classed disabled so I can’t even take her out ,,I know the currant condition but we ain’t been out since November and rely on shopping being delivered,thankyou in advance for any help in all this
    Tags: None

I'm sorry for your misfortune. Unfortunately expensive cars like bmw are expensive to repair. Regrettably when they are older and cheaper they are still expensive to repair.
    Too many warranties have that many exclusions they are fairly worthless.
    It is around six months since you bought it so another problem. I suspect it is also diesel which can be money pits.
    From the sounds of it I would be pessimistic about any chance of success. I would also have concerns about dealing with this place.
    I have made a few poor car buys so speak from bitter experience !
    Consider cutting your losses and seeing what you can get scrapping it.
    I apologise for being gloomy about the situation, hopefully I am wrong ( often am)
    If buying an older car a sounder buy is Japanese simple petrol car.
    Best Wishes.

Comment

What were the MOT failures?

Did you buy it from a dealer?

How did you pay for it? credit card/debit card/cash/finance

Comment

How long was the warranty for?

Comment

3 months but after 3 months we paid for it ourselves so we can have it on the car

Comment

Sorry des8 just see ur post ,it says on mot cert
            fail
            repair immediately (major defects)
            exhaust carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle default limited
            i brought it from a car dealer from
            auto trader
            and paid for it by transferring it to him and we paid £120 for the warranty

Comment

Just so I understand. You bought a car no finance? paid cash. Had the car less than 3 months realised it needed a mot. The Mot failed on a previous advisory that hadn't been fixed? How many miles have you done in the vehicle since your purchased it? if the miles are relative low the likely hood the garage knew about the issue before they sold it so as long as they are a trader and not a private individual you definitely have a right to make a complaint with them not ness to return the cars but some goodwill gesture to go towards the repairs. Let me know if you need ant further help.

Comment

Is the trader a limited company or sole trader?

I would suggest you WRITE (send first class with free certificate of posting) and tell the dealer you are rejecting the car as per your rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
                List the problems, and stress that they must have been present at the time of delivery.
                As you brought art least one of the problems to the trader within the first thirty days after delivery you are exercising your short term right to reject the car and require return of ALL monies paid (includes cost of warranty).
                You want your money within 14 days and the car collected by then at their cost
                If they fail to act you will initiate a county court claim

Comment

I did do all that and I have just filled in a form to take them to a small claims court as he ignored all my messages since,,wat happens if he dnt respond he has till 15th feb

Comment

:what if the defendant does not respond to my claim | MoneyClaimsUK

Comment

Jobrindle21 yes exactly everything u have said ,,he started replying to me then wen he lied saying he has been in touch with the warranty he screamed and shouted at me for not trust him ,,we hardly drove the car at the time we brought the car it was 88000 miles and it’s just over 88000 miles wen the mot took place

Comment

Hi i would do exactly the same has Des has suggested and make an application to court for a ccj based on the fact the vehicle was unfit for purpose.

:what if the defendant does not respond to my claim | MoneyClaimsUK

please let me know if I could help further

Comment

The bloke received his court letter today as he rang me and tried to intimidate me and felt like he was trying to bully me,,he said for me to cancel it and sort it out ourselves,I told him I did try sorting it out but him and the other fella ignored me,,so partner spoke to him he told us to return car and he will take £425 out for the admin cost and we will have to pay to have it sent to him as well by recovery,,partner told him we are not doing that as no cost should come our way as the car is faulty now he said he will talk yo his colleague and get back to us any he hasn’t rang us

Comment

It is for him to refund and arrange collection of vehicle at no cost to you.

Comment

Dont be bullied just hold your cool. Do Not stop the court action until he takes back the car and gives you your money. Try and get him to maybe text you so you have a trail of correspondence as evidence if it does come go to court.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X