• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Northern Ireland - CCJ from previous Solicitors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Ireland - CCJ from previous Solicitors

I had an IPO issue about 4 years ago and received cease and desist letter. I went to a friend who worked as a Solicitor in a local solicitors office for advice. He told me to setup an limited company and move the assets into a limited company via a deed of transfer. I have proof of this in writing. There was a back and forwards between both parties then nothing for about 18 months. My friend left and partnered with another solicitor at a new firm. I then went to him at that new firm because he was familiar with the details. I signed a letter to get the file sent from the original firm he originally worked for. This was in August 2019. He appointed a new barrister to represent me at the high court. I lost the IPO issue on advice from this barrister and had to hand over the assets and I agreed to non disclosure agreement. The costs for the barrister was paid up front and I was offered a minimal settlement but never got this as this was used to pay for the Solicitors costs.

I then dissolved the limited company in December 2019. It was in the local Gazette in March 2020.

I got an invoice in my own name from the Original Solicitors firm in May 2020 looking for payment for almost £5000. I explained I had no idea I owed anything as I had already got the matter cleared up. He told that an invoice was sent when the file was sent to the new firm as I had not used their services to finish the case (they work on a no win no fee basis!). I was not told about it or seen it. He told me that my friend had used the legal services of a high flying legal firm for IPO advice and that one report alone cost around £2000 ( I did agree to anything like that and never seen the report!). I explained I had the matter resolved but he persisted and even as going as far as calling me a liar. He wanted me to proof my Solicitor friend appointed a new barrister (instead of me) and he would consider withholding proceedings once I was able to clarify how the Barrister was instructed. I did this. It was just a simple matter of forwarding an email. I was furloughed at my place of employment during my last correspondence and provided proof of such and I could not afford to pay a bill of that amount. They told me

I then received this August 2020

We note your most recent email. The simple fact of the matter is that My Solicitor friend would have been aware of the advices from (the Legal firm) that he had received. There is correspondence indicating that they were sent to you (I never seen it and no proof of delivery!). You instructed our firm to deal with this matter. It is clear from the correspondence that you engaged with another firm of solicitors despite our letter of the 29th of May 2019. Before engaging another firm you would have been aware that there were monies owed to our office. In the circumstances we will be initiating proceedings seeking our full costs in the matter unless we receive confirmation from you that you are prepared to discharge our fee in its entirety. We are prepared to let this matter sit for another 7 days after which proceedings will issue without further notice.

That was at the end of July 2020. I received an Ordinary Civil Bill on 22nd December 2020. I responded with a form 42 to dispute the claim. Then yesterday I received a letter. Take notice that the Plaintiff requires you to furnish to the Plaintiff full details of your defence.

I have contacted my Solicitor Friend and he has not responded to my calls or whatsapps? I really think he has dropped the ball here and left me in it as he always told me we had a strong case which we didn't. I don't think I have left anything out but any help here greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

I had an IPO issue about 4 years ago and received cease and desist letter. I went to a friend who worked as a Solicitor in a local solicitors office for advice. He told me to setup an limited company and move the assets into a limited company via a deed of transfer. I have proof of this in writing. There was a back and forwards between both parties then nothing for about 18 months. My friend left and partnered with another solicitor at a new firm. I then went to him at that new firm because he was familiar with the details. I signed a letter to get the file sent from the original firm he originally worked for. This was in August 2019. He appointed a new barrister to represent me at the high court. I lost the IPO issue on advice from this barrister and had to hand over the assets and I agreed to non disclosure agreement. The costs for the barrister was paid up front and I was offered a minimal settlement but never got this as this was used to pay for the Solicitors costs.

I then dissolved the limited company in December 2019. It was in the local Gazette in March 2020.

I got an invoice in my own name from the Original Solicitors firm in May 2020 looking for payment for almost £5000. I explained I had no idea I owed anything as I had already got the matter cleared up. He told that an invoice was sent when the file was sent to the new firm as I had not used their services to finish the case (they work on a no win no fee basis!). I was not told about it or seen it. He told me that my friend had used the legal services of a high flying legal firm for IPO advice and that one report alone cost around £2000 ( I did agree to anything like that and never seen the report!). I explained I had the matter resolved but he persisted and even as going as far as calling me a liar. He wanted me to proof my Solicitor friend appointed a new barrister (instead of me) and he would consider withholding proceedings once I was able to clarify how the Barrister was instructed. I did this. It was just a simple matter of forwarding an email. I was furloughed at my place of employment during my last correspondence and provided proof of such and I could not afford to pay a bill of that amount. They told me

I then received this August 2020

We note your most recent email. The simple fact of the matter is that My Solicitor friend would have been aware of the advices from (the Legal firm) that he had received. There is correspondence indicating that they were sent to you (I never seen it and no proof of delivery!). You instructed our firm to deal with this matter. It is clear from the correspondence that you engaged with another firm of solicitors despite our letter of the 29th of May 2019. Before engaging another firm you would have been aware that there were monies owed to our office. In the circumstances we will be initiating proceedings seeking our full costs in the matter unless we receive confirmation from you that you are prepared to discharge our fee in its entirety. We are prepared to let this matter sit for another 7 days after which proceedings will issue without further notice.

That was at the end of July 2020. I received an Ordinary Civil Bill on 22nd December 2020. I responded with a form 42 to dispute the claim. Then yesterday I received a letter. Take notice that the Plaintiff requires you to furnish to the Plaintiff full details of your defence.

I have contacted my Solicitor Friend and he has not responded to my calls or whatsapps? I really think he has dropped the ball here and left me in it as he always told me we had a strong case which we didn't. I don't think I have left anything out but any help here greatly appreciated.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X