• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help needed - Lowell, County Court Claim and a British Gas Account

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed - Lowell, County Court Claim and a British Gas Account

Hi all, please accept my apologies for the long rant and help a novice. I moved from my previous address 15 years ago and didn't owe anything on my utilities. I have since let the property to different people over this period of time.

At a some point, I stated having trouble with the then tenant with late and missing rent payments. The arrears soon accumulated into several thousands. And I thought to evict the tenants but also get a feel for the extent of the defaults. The electricity was on a pay as you go meter, so no problems, but when I tried to contact British Gas they won't talk to me as I was not the account holder. I let them know that I was the landlord and was having rent problems, they still wouldn't talk to me (since it's the tenants' private issue) so I had to leave things.

The tenants eventually moved out and new tenants moved into the property and the account was changed into the new tenants name.

Several years later I started getting letters at my current address from Lowell for some unpaid British Gas account with the demand to pay up. I ignored these letters, as I regarded them as Lowell fishing for innocent victims to screw up for cash.

As things stand now, I just got a County Court Claim from the Northampton County Court Business Centre with the details below (Some details not exact):

Particulars of Claim:

1. The defendant entered into a supply and service agreement with British gas under account reference #########.
    2. The agreement later ended but a liability remained outstanding for payment
    3. The agreement was later assigned to the claimant on 27/11/2018 and notice given to defendant..

4. Despite repeated requests for payment, the sum of £1004 remains due and outstanding

And the claimant claims
    a) The said sum of £1004
    b) Interest pursuant to s69 County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue, accruing at the rate of £0.21, but limited to one year, being £76.65
    c) Costs

------------------------

Having read some threads on here, I have filled the Acknowledgement of Service form on day 2 after the service date.

​​​​​​Following advice from the folks on National Debt line, I rang Lowell to give me details of when the debt was incurred and on what address. But the customer care representative on the call appeared to be more interested in fishing for information from me to enrich their database. I confirmed my name, address and previous address and when he asked for my date of birth I got worried and kind'a woke up, so I reused to give my date of birth. He asked me about my previous address which I confirmed. He then said he couldn't give me further details as I wouldn't give my date of birth.

Please, to all gurus on the forum, my dilemma now is how to proceed. I moved from the address to which this debt relates over 15 years ago and I am 1000% sure that the debt is not mine.

How do I go about defending this case?
    ​​​​​
    Do I go to Court and prove my address for the past 15 years?

Can utility debts like this be statute barred?

How do I proceed when I don't have any further details of the case?

I am now on a race against time, Kindly help some confused soul. Thanking you all in advance.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X