• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Received a claim, claimant unknown!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it could be - a debt purchaser, a debt collector, a solicitor, a factor or any amount of associated trades who are instructed by the originator to collect. Hope you don't get to Court, lose and then have High Court Enforcement Agents instructed who can force entry to your premises and empty them of both stock and any other assets that may be available.

Comment

So for goodness sake get some information from him that may give you some idea why he is claiming so that you can defend instead of trying to guess.

And yes he can claim from you, as already stated.

Comment

The claimant is a female with a residential address. Not a debt collector, not a solicitor.

The customer the amount relates to is a company with a business name and business address.

So again I ask, I have not dealt with said claimant, my records don't have a sales order under the claimants name or address.

Claim details are very limited and claim a certain amount owing with no further explanation or details. All I can see is the claimant name, address (which don't correspond to anything I have, the amount, the court fee and the total fee.

What would you respond to such a claim?

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
          Hope you don't get to Court, lose and then have High Court Enforcement Agents instructed who can force entry to your premises and empty them of both stock and any other assets that may be available.
          My friend a long way from getting to court, I only received the court docs this week. And *even* if it did get to court and I lost that is still a long way from High Court Enforcement Agents arriving at my premises.

Comment

So what are you going to put in your defence, to be in 33 days after date of issue of the claim? So you need to get the additional information from HER

SHE is the only person that can provide the information you seek.

A defence of "I don't know what it's about" won't wash.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
              So what are you going to put in your defence, to be in 33 days after date of issue of the claim? So you need to get the additional information from HER

SHE is the only person that can provide the information you seek.

A defence of "I don't know what it's about" won't wash.

I understand that, but I need to know who the person suing me is and what connection they have with the business.

As it stands I have taken over a business from someone who sadly died from COVID a few months ago. I am trying my best with what I have and this is the first legal case I have faced, so I appreciate the advice here.

I have all the orders and customer info and she is not a customer. I can find the amount as an order total, but from what I can see it is a company and the address is some where else in the UK. And the person who placed the order is a male.

The claimant is a Miss XXX XXX and the address is 100s miles away.

The claimant provides little detail and doesn't state that she represents a company.

So again, as it stands I have a claim in front of me from someone who is not a customer.

Do I respond to the claim and state that I cannot connect the claimant and claimant address to an order?

Or do I state that I am able to locate the amount, but the order is associated with someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
                So for goodness sake get some information from him that may give you some idea why he is claiming so that you can defend instead of trying to guess.

And yes he can claim from you, as already stated.
                He is not claiming from me.

Comment

Have you tried to find out more about this customer you have details of an order for same amount as the claim if its from a LTD company you can get details of owners and shareholders from companies house. If this Company/ is not LTD do they have a Website and or online presence Ebay Gumtree Facebook Etc until they give you more info any advice on here may not help .

Comment

Originally posted by michaeldigby View Post

He is not claiming from me.
                    I would suggest you stop being so pedantic and provide some info so that people can formulate some help.

Is this person a customer of your customer and should really be claiming from your customer under consumer rights legislation?

Why not post up a redacted particulars of claim so people can see what this is about?

Comment

So, it would seem that your firm’s defence, so far, amounts to this:
                      "“The defendant has no record of ever having entered into any contract with the claimant for the sale and delivery of any goods to her."”

If the claimant can prove the opposite, in my view, the court is likely to rule in the defendant’s favour.

Further, if the court concludes that either party has been unreasonable in it’s conduct of the proceedings, it can, of it’s own motion, award costs against that party.

Here, by failing to request from the claimant further and better particulars of her particulars of claim aka statement of case, the defendant sets itself up for a costs order against it.

One depressing feature of this matter is that the poster seeking assistance on this board decides for himself what information is relevant. One problem with that is that it prevents contributors to this board, many of whom are legal experts, from giving him assistance

Those contributors devote their free time and their expertise ,‘pro bono’, aimed at assisting people with legal issues.

If any poster is not willing to volunteer information specifically requested from him, aimed at enabling that assistance, my view, for what its worth, is that that poster is being unreasonable.

Comment

I'm asking the simply question if someone who has no connection to the claimant can sue the company.

The person who's order belongs to is not a LTD company, its Mr David Smith trading as XYZ Company

The claimant is a completely different name and no mention of the company name.

Comment

To answer your question simply:
                          Anyone can sue anyone else whether or not there is a connection
                          If there is no connection the difficulty then arises for the claimant to prove the claim
                          The difficulty arises for the defendant who does not recognise the claimant.
                          That does not mean the claimant doesn't have a claim
                          To enter a defence the defendant needs to obtain details of the claim: claiming ignorance of the defendant is unlikely to prove a successful defence

If you want help from posters you need to answer their questions

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X