• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small Claim Received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Claim Received

Evening all,

We had a bereavement in 2018 and it took till Nov 2019 to finalise the estate. My Wife and I were executors and all beneficiaries were notified and submitted their bank details in short order and received their inheritance. I ended up chasing a sibling in January 2020 for the requested documentation to be completed and returned. they initially returned it by writing Without Prejudice over the heading... Statement of Declaration, we had asked if they were bankrupt to protect ourselves, having been estranged for 30+ years and knowing nothing of them and included the relevant part of the insolvency act to demonstrate why we were asking. The bank account they submitted was not in their name and i wrote back and pointed out that the account was in a different name to the beneficiary detailed in the Will and as we did not have any evidence the name had been legally changed we requested they submit an account in their name or provide proof their name had legally changed. we heard nothing more from them and after waiting till June 2020. The beneficiary then died unexpectedly. I was banned from the funeral and received physical harm threats if i tried to attend. Naturally being estranged for such a length of time i had no inclination too attend and so was not a big deal
    four weeks ago, I received a recorded letter from the unmarried partner, stating they had taken legal advice and i must now send them the money or they would report the matter to the police as theft. they go on to explain that they are the legal next of kin and the money should now be sent to them
    From research on the internet, taking care to only read information relating to UK law. my sibling died intestate and as such an unmarried partner is not entitled to inherit from their estate. nor able to act as administrator to their estate.

two days ago i recieved a small claims case and after reading the POC, it is full of inaccuracies. they describe themselves as next of kin although there is no valid Will and they were unmarried and state inaccurately when my mothers estate was finalised by almost a Year, stating they know the estate was finalised in January 2019 and not as it was in Dec 2019. They also state I have prevented the decedent while alive from obtaining their inheritance. When in fact it was them who did not reply to the request for information or supply a bank account to be paid into. They have also stated the decedent died two days before the funeral, when they actually died five weeks previously. They go on to state that I have abused the decedents son but give little other details. They have wrongly stated the amount of the decedents inheritance. I advised them that the amount was just over £500 but since they had removed items from my mothers house without permission that the executors were replacing said items as Items in Lieu of cash and so the amount was reduced too just under £400. it naturally is causing some distress.

As the estate is without a valid will and so I believe the rules of intestate should apply and taking into account the inaccuracies and lack of probate or anyone with authority too act. Is it likely to go far? or succeed ? Naturally I shall submit a full, defence in good time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. All communications were sent by recorded delivery. I am contemplating to add an application for it to be struck out as the claimant as no legitimate claim nor neither do they have any legal rights to act as one

PLEASE help...... I work for the NHS in a covid treatment department and this amount of stress is having a negative effect upon me.
    Last edited by Harassed One; 18th October 2020, 23:28:PM.
    Tags: None

Des may advise on the inheritance matters. Overall it looks as if you behaved reasonably throughout.

I don't doubt that the behaviour of this partner of the deceased relative is bizarre and you could defend this small claim yourself. However, some of the facts are complex and could make for detailed defence/witness statements needing to be drafted. Currently small claims cases are taking around one year to reach trial.
    The only reason I make this point is: depending on the amount they are claiming, would it not just be easier for you to settle this rather than fight for a year. Your brilliant, brave and dedicated work in a Covid department will be taking a big enough toll on you already. X
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X