• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court Cases during Covid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Cases during Covid

Hi, First time posting !

I run a small family business and supplied services to a solicitor in 2019. Unfortuantely the solicitor didn't pay for the services and we had no alternative but to enter a County Court Claim for £2000.

All of our staff including Directors have been in furlough since March 2020 and where unaware that the court had sent an email asking for directions. The Court received our standard out of office notification so the Court knew where shut and unable to response. As we did not reply the claim was struck out and an award made to Solicitor (Defendant) for their costs. Not only where our offices closed but I lost an inlaw and my mum during this period so obviously I was not accessing the office.

I have now returned to work and have received the offical court documenation and a letter from the solicitor. The solicitor has stated they will only tell me costs if I pay £1200 for a fromal bill of costs or £600 for them to prepare a detailed costs stement.

I attempted to try to resolve over the phone but after 30 years of supplying to solicitors I have never been spoken to in such a conderscending and rude manner, he was not preapred to discuss. He eventually sent me an email and demanded a payment of £4800 for his costs. The original claim entered was for £2000.

I've explained that due to Covid/family berevement we are not in a position to pay this. I've just received another threatening email that if we don't pay myself and other directors will be held personally liable.

I understand costs have been incurred but the way the court have handled this seems very unreasonable and we have not been able to present this case. Is this a easy way for Solicitors to charge what they want? Is there a way we can appeal this case?

Tags: None

Hi @MOLLYMOO124. I am going to move this thread to the Court forum as you may have more chance of getting a response.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X