• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Default against Natwest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

des8 can you tell me how the costs aspect works? I've heard one thing i.e. winning party is due costs by losing party, and then I've been told "you cannot recover more than the principle sum awarded by default" by their solicitor?

Comment

And also, I take it that as there is no contract between the parties, what is the legal basis for the claim?

Comment

If anyone could answer me really briefly with those last two questions, would really appreciate it

Comment

How do costs work?
          The answer to that is at the courts discretion!
          CPR 44 together with Practice Direction 44 is the bible. https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...costs#rule44.2

Comment

And you can't claim costs at £45 per hour unless you are self-employed and can prove those losses. The standard rate for litigants in person is £19 per hour and capped at two thirds that a solicitor might reasonably charge. You should normally file a costs schedule 24 hours before the hearing is due to take place, otherwise the court may decide against a costs order.

As per CPR 44, the usual rule is costs follow the event i.e. they follow the result of the litigation unless there is good reason not to. Conduct is usually the main reason to reduce any costs award or make no award at all.

Nothing more I can add because all you've done throughout this thread is drip feed information (in my opinion). It's in the hands of the judge hearing the case and I would not be surprised at all if the judgment was set aside and costs in favour of NatWest, but that all depends on how you present your case.
            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I am claiming law of agency as my legal argument.

Natwest used Royal Mail and USPS as their agents to deliver me an unsolicited package, and I seek to recover damages i.e. costs in having this package forwarded to me, and then in contacting Natwest to have them sort the matter out.

???

Comment

Applications to set aside default judgments are interim applications. They are not intended to to be a mini trial nor are you allowed to recover costs as damages without issuing a new claim. You can only recover costs incidental to the application.

Good luck.
                If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

How did your hearing go?
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

hahaha I'll post shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by HarryJackson View Post
                      hahaha I'll post shortly.
                      Should we be asking the dictionary to redefine shortly?
                      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Sorry. Their application was successful but no order as to costs. They state they are now making an application to strike out my claim, so I am waiting for that. but it's all good, I feel. Looking forward to arguing the case with them, tbh. Thank you all for your help

Comment

Well can't say I'm surprised but you have a second chance to prove your case.

Just make sure you are well prepared.
                          LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Am I right in thinking that a Statement of costs should be sent the day before a hearing?

Comment

They settled

Comment

they settled --- can you give more info? for peeps to understand how achieved

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X