• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. If this is your first visit to LegalBeagles and you need assistance then you can ask a question here;
    Create a Thread
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Data Protection Act 1998 - claim for CCTV intrusion - ICO Non compliance !

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Data Protection Act 1998 - claim for CCTV intrusion - ICO Non compliance !

    Good evening,

    I wish to pursue a claim against former landlord who allowed another their tenant to record me my family home and car with the Data Controllers CCTV. I want to claim for distress and damages for myself, wife and children. I reported my landlord who did not do enough to stop their CCTV system from recording us day and night for months. Their tenant accessed the CCTV took the SD card and put the content on a laptop and phone- She stated the CCTV was her property !. At first we did not know the CCTV system actually belonged to the landlord a large social housing company. There was no signage - I have taken the time and trouble to document all of this. I reported the landlord to the ICO and got a notice of non compliance against our former landlord. They had denied that there were any pictures of us on the CCTV system. I got the images photos and video snaps of us from the police - there were a total of 5500 images handed to me. They were the ones that I could have as the footage included photographs of people in the street which I could not have.

    Due to having to move house etc due to our old neighbour and getting the evidence I cannot get an action against them for Human Rights (out of time - one year). I have a ICO non compliance notice which states that the data controller did not sufficient signage for the CCTV installation (no signs), were processing our data in a manner which they should not have been - without an explanation.

    So I want to go to court Im not expecting to claim millions but I wanted to do it myself. Ideally I would like to submit the appropriate letter before action and resolve it pre court. Any advice would be most helpful. Thank you

    Tags: None

  • #2

    Hope all are staying safe and well at this time.

    Some basic advice on Letter before claim .... i am reffering to the neighbour involved in my case ....
    In the letter im submitting should you refer to the person by initials or by full name ?? Thinking here of confidentiality .. any advice anyone ...


    • #3

      Afraid I'm not following your story, who owned the CCTV was that the landlord or the tenant? If it was the tenant then that's who you should be going after for breach of data protection. I don't understand how the landlord is liable as a data controller for the tenant's actions, and how the ICO has found that the landlord is not compliant - something doesn't add up here, can you explain that to us?
      Check out some useful guides below

      A guide to voluntary termination
      Seting aside a CCJ
      Completing an N180 Form (Courtesy of Jaguarsuk)

      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Some of the content I post may include example wording, letters, or other similar responses but they are intended purely for informational and educational purposes. Using some or all of the content I post may fail to meet your needs that is specific to your situation. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice and you can do this through the Law Society's Find a Solicitor database, by contacting your local Citizen's Advice Bureau or legal advice centres such as LawWorks. You may also be able to seek legal advice from your local university who may run a free (but limited) legal advice clinic to members of the public.


      • #4
        Hi The landlord was responsible for the CCTV (data controller) also my landlord installed the CCTV for a third party (Neighbour said she was having issues with domestic violence - in her mind anyway). So landlord agreed to allow installation of CCTV. Landlord is the data controller and also managed the property. I have two proposed defendants - the landlord / cctv provider the third party.

        But I have an ICO non compliance ruling against the landlord (social landlord). I have done the hard bit perhaps getting a order of non compliance against them. That was for no signage and processing my and family data in a manner in which we could not have expected it be processed. So armed with that an all my evidence I am proceeding.

        I have admissions in that the l /lord staff admitted "she should not have turned the CCTV against our home". They also admitted misleading us regarding the CCTV footage they said didn't exist ICO caught them out. The police had it - 5001 images of us stills & video. They contain distressing shots and things you would not expect - essentially the neighbour took control of the CCTV - then took images off the SD card. So Im just building a case Im okay with most of It just an issue whether it is appropriate to name the neighbour in full by name and address - the address is obviously relevant !

        The tenant abused the facility given by landlord and a charity why film us - she had the CCTV as she felt threatened - a joke. BTW this person who was a neighbour had substance misuse / family / and admission to low secure mental health units caused mayhem.
        Last edited by Apollo14LMP; 31st May 2020, 18:15:PM.


        • #5
          I have basically completed the Letter of Claim I have referred to our old neighbour as CD for confidentiality (Her identity is known to all parties) is this acceptable in a Letter of Claim or do you have the right to name people. The rest of it seems ok I have also included the various aspects relating to Data Claims due to the amended CPR Pre action protocol rules.


          View our Terms and Conditions

          LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

          If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

          If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.


          1 of 2 < >


          Pre-Action Letters
          First Steps
          Check dates
          Acknowledge Claim
          CCA Request
          CPR 31.14 Request
          Subject Access Request Letter
          Example Defence
          Set Aside Application
          Witness Statements
          Directions Questionnaire
          Statute Barred Letter

          If you received a court claim and would like some help and support dealing with it, please read the first steps and make a new thread in the forum with as much information as you can.

          NOTE: If you receive a court claim note these dates in your calendar ...
          Acknowledge Claim - within 14 days from Service

          Defend Claim - within 28 days from Service (IF you acknowledged in time)

          If you fail to Acknowledge the claim you may have a default judgment awarded against you, likewise, if you fail to enter your defence within 28 days from Service.

          We now feature a number of specialist consumer credit debt solicitors on our sister site, JustBeagle.com
          If your case is over �10,000 or particularly complex it may be worth a chat with a solicitor, often they will be able to help on a fixed fee or CFA (no win, no fee) basis.
          2 of 2 < >

          Need Formal Help?

          Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

          Find a Law Firm

          See more
          See less

          Court Claim ?

          Guides and Letters

          Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

          Find a Law Firm