• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ltd company - sued

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ltd company - sued

Hi, can I have some advise please.
    I have successfully sued a LTD company for failure to complete some building work. They failed to respond and I have been awarded a default judgement against them.The registered address for the business (companies house) is the directors home address as well. Does his home therefore become an asset that can be sold to pay for company debts if necessary?
    Tags: None

Only if the home is owned by the company

Comment

So what can I go after....?

Comment

The company assets.
        How do you intend to enforce the judgement if the company doesn't pay up?

Comment

I guess that’s my question*

Comment

How much is the claim for? When did you get judgment? They have 30 days from default judgment to pay up or get a CCJ against the company. You could send bailiffs/HCEO's....
            "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Amount £12k I got judgement at the beginning of March. I guess my point which seems to be being missed is concerning the house and it’s content. The house is the registered address for the business so can I assume a bailiff ( out of lock down ) will be able to cease content in the house if he refuses to pay. He has an old builders van but that’s worth nothing much and some tools so I am wondering if as the company is registered to the address what else a Baliff could cease. Also I was wondering how long after obtaining the judgement I need to act?

Comment

Only the assets of the limited company may be seized, and it is most unlikely that this will include house or contents.
                Just because a business is registered at a particular address it does not mean the business has any proprietorial interest in that address*
                The assets may include tools, although even those might be owned by him privately.

Comment

But isn’t the burden of proof on him to show assets are privately owned ie showing receipts etc*

Comment

Originally posted by NOCAB View Post
                    Amount £12k I got judgement at the beginning of March. I guess my point which seems to be being missed is concerning the house and it’s content. The house is the registered address for the business so can I assume a bailiff ( out of lock down ) will be able to cease content in the house if he refuses to pay. He has an old builders van but that’s worth nothing much and some tools so I am wondering if as the company is registered to the address what else a Baliff could cease. Also I was wondering how long after obtaining the judgement I need to act?
                    Hi Nocab

I don't wish to be the bearer of bad news here but this debt (on the face of it) looks exceptionally difficult to enforce. One of the purposes of a limited company is to limit the liabilities of its directors. The fact that the company is registered at the directors house does not help you much. You/bailiffs cannot seize anything that doesn't belong to the limited company. From what you have told us, it would seem that the company only own a few tools and* a worthless van.

My sense here is that the builder knows what he is doing which is why he didn't even bother with the court hearing. He will just carry on regardless until you force him to shut down (if you go that far). At that point, he will simply set up again with a new company.

In your shoes, I would most certainly give bailiffs a try. It will cost you a small fee to transfer the matter up to the High Court. After that, the bailiffs will work for nothing and will only be paid if they recover some or all of the debt. I say that, there is a fee of £90 payable on unsuccessful cases.

You have 6 years in which you can act but this could be from the point that the money became due rather than when the judgement was made so if you say 5 years, you will be well within your limits.*

I would find out as much as you can about the builder. It would be good to find out where he is currently working because there could be tools of value there that you weren't aware of.

Good luck with this. Low life like this builder need all that can be thrown at them. Glad to help moving forward if you wish to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                      Only the assets of the limited company may be seized, and it is most unlikely that this will include house or contents.
                      Just because a business is registered at a particular address it does not mean the business has any proprietorial interest in that address
                      The assets may include tools, although even those might be owned by him privately.
                      It will be down to him to prove ownership on things like tools. Household items such as TVs etc would clearly not belong to the company. There may be an office within the house where computers, printers etc are situated. These could (and probably are) owned by the company.

The biggest problem is gaining entry. There is no right to force entry and a bailiff can only enter peacefully (ie with permission).

The garage at the property could be interesting. However, bear in mind items seized are sold at auctions for low prices. £12,000 worth is quite a lot of items.

Comment

What garage ?

Comment

Assuming there is a garage at the property, that is where the tools, equipment and other assets are likely to be.*

Comment

I would rather not guess on details like a garage thanks anyway. Looking for solid knowledge here

Comment

Well you were assuming things a couple of posts ago. I gave you the solid knowledge in my first post. A bailiff may only take items belonging to the debtor. The builder is not the debtor, his company is. There's some more solid knowledge for you. Good luck with finding company assets in the main house.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X