• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small claims Claimant discontinued – Defendant’s costs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small claims Claimant discontinued – Defendant’s costs.

Brief facts
    Claimant is a corporate entity.
    Defendant, Litigant in person, put up a strong defence.
    Hearing called on for 29th November 2019
    Hearing postponed the day before hearing– court “double booked” Not yet relisted.
    Small claims track
    Further skirmishing.
    Today, Claimant discontinued.filed N279
    Defendant believes he can prove “unreasonable conduct” – strong evidence.

Procedurally, how does he apply for his costs?
    Last edited by efpom; 5th December 2019, 22:45:PM.
    Tags: None

Best option here is to apply to set aside the discontinuance under CPR 38.4 but setting aside alone will just bring the claim back to life so you probably want to combine it with a strike out application. If there are strong grounds for summary judgment defendant may want to consider that too.

Because of the small claims track rules and the Claimant's right to discontinue, I'm not aware of any provisions in the CPR or case law that allows you to recover costs outside of doing the above i.e. simply making an application for costs alone.

CPR27.2(g) does refer to summary procedure but I can't find any reference to what that means other than summary judgment procedure.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

The defendant made a submission on costs 3 days before the hearing was due to be heard, footed on unreasonable conduct by the claimant and invited the court to summery assess them.

On the case law, In Dammermann v Lanyon Bowdler LLP [2017] EWCA Civ 269, the Court of Appeal, in addressing what was meant by "unreasonable conduct" noted that cost cases are "highly fact sensitive" and so it is hard to give general guidance but endorsed the comments enunciated by Sir Thomas Bingham MR's in Ridehalgh v Horsefield [1994] Ch 205, where he said that "The acid test is whether the conduct permits of a reasonable explanation"

On summery judgment, my (shaky) understanding, is that it is a procedure, broad brush, where after a trial of less than a day, the judge having sighted a schedule of costs, assess whether the costs claimed are reasonable, and if not, reduces them "on the spot" rather than sending the schedule out to detailed assessment, by a costs master.

I'm not sure how much further that get's us, but you are probably right, in that the case needs to be brought back to life, via a 38.4 set aside application (I cannot find the court fee for that) to have any chance of getting a costs order.

Comment

I'm aware of Dammermann but that related to a live issue where a hearing took place and the question of conduct arose, rather than the set of circumstances here which are different.

CPR 38.6(3) obviously makes it clear that the general presumption about costs being award on discontinuance does not apply to small claims cases. So you could take that as a reverse burden of proof and it is up to the defendant by virtue of 27.14(2)(g) to show why the court should depart from that position.

On the back of the above, you could take a chance on issuing an N244 application seeking an order pursuant to CPR 27.14(2)(g) on the basis of the discontinuance of the claim at a late stage and without any reasonable explanation. Coupled with the conduct throughout the proceedings (or before) then the claimant has been unreasonable in their conduct.

Could be a valid point to say that the fact that CPR 27.14(2)(g) doesn't explicitly state that it is necessary to set aside the discontinuance or that unreasonable conduct must be raised at the end of a hearing, therefore it's open to the court to consider costs following discontinuance and even whether the discontinuance itself was unreasonable conduct, together with any other points that might be raised.

Court fee for setting aside the discontinuance is the usual cost for an N244 application, £255 though nothing to suggest a Part 8 couldn't be done since there is not likely to be a substantial dispute of fact.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X