• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Judicial Review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judicial Review

We have contract with an organisation. Its been breached several times in the last four years. The organisation thinks it can change the terms when ever they feel like it or it suits. the latest breach is the one that has broken the camals back.

Weve got a solicitor to write a detailed letter setting out the breaches and giving them 30 days to rectify the breaches. 30days is the time period for complaint resolution as a condition in the contract. the solicitorhas said if they don't agree well need to do a judicial review. I don't really understand this. I understand How to sue for breach of contract, but don't understand the difference of a judicial review. any advice appreciated.

Steveeasy
    Tags: None

Originally posted by steveeasy View Post
    We have contract with an organisation.
    Without knowing who ''we'' are and who the
    organisation is it's difficult to know if the Judicial Review process applies. You can only challenge certain types of decisions made by certain public bodies by way of Judicial Review. JRs are not a commercial remedy and are complicated and expensive and in any event only challenge the process by which a decision was made and not the actual decision itself.

Comment

Hi,
      the organisation is called British Dressage. the issue is breach of contract. the solicitor said it would be dealt with through judicial review. well ive been reading what I can find and if a contract exists and its a breach of contract, it says its not for judicial review. I dont know much about this and I can only go on what ive been told so i end up trying to research it.

thanks for your reply.

Steveeasy

Comment

well looks like im in a pickle again then. I went to see a solicitor 2 weeks ago. asked for a payment before even going through the door. I was asked to pay in advance for the initial letter to go off.paid that there and then. letter to be ready last Wednesday if not earlier. Friday called sorry no time be ready Monday. nothing. no apology, no im sorry. good job its not judicial review as the time limit is counting.

Looks like ill be sueing for breach of contract twice then.!!. wasted time and effort.

Steveeasy

Comment

Have you asked the solicitor why judicial review and not breach of contract, that might have been the sensible thing to do first.

On the face of it, I would agree that the alteration of terms with British Dressage would be breach of contract now judicial review because a judicial review is about the lawfulness of a decision or actions of a public body. I can't see that they are a public body, rather a limited company by guarantee.

Whilst on the subject, if they are altering the terms of the contract then and the contract does not allow for that, then you do not have to comply. Equally, they could be in repudiatory breach by dictating alternative terms that were not required originally.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi Rob,
            The contract states they will consult existing businesses within 50 miles of any new venue being proposed. They simply set up a new venue 1 mile from our business without consultation at all.. that's the first breach and its happened 3 times before with several different excuses each time saying they can. the second breach has to do with event days. dates have to be submitted in specific windows. then the organisation just added 30 more dates outside the window for the new business next to us. no provision for this in the contract, they just do what they want.

an organisation like this is heavily influenced by money. the people involved are clever and im sure business women and men, but simply cant adhear to the contract we have. not even sure they think they have too, quite extraordinary hence the need to deal with the matter. ive no idear why the legal advisor said judicial review, Ive also no idea what hes up too.

I suspect he is a little out of his depth perhaps. no reason for not doing what he was paid to do though. just makes the matter harder to address.

Steveeasy

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X