• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Any advice on allocation and discontinuance?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any advice on allocation and discontinuance?

Hello all,

I see you lot are so helpful at giving advice and I've read through and through google but I'm at a bit of a wits end.

A few months ago I issued a MoneyClaimOnline for a company and its director (as 2 defendants) for a small amount of £100. This was following others advice in a similar position they had successfully recovered their money this way from this company who are essentially a PayForIt Scam whereby they take payments through your phone company for 'services' you never signed up for as they got your number over the 4G network.

I sent an email to the company (as my calls got nowhere as their phone number is just a telephone in an auto call centre) informing them I would give them a few days before issuing a claim. I gave them 2 weeks in the end. I know i did not follow proper pre-action protocol and I have learnt my mistake as they defended the claim (though their defence is nearly all completely fabricated and against terms of condition of sale for Payforit Service products).

So far they filed the DQ late and have not sent me a copy like I did for them, they filed theirs after a sanction order.

We both agreed to mediation, I confirmed the appointment but today received notice that its been transferred from County Court Business Centre to my local county court (I assume company has not responded to mediation and I know from others with cases against them the company has stopped responding to any letters from claimants etc.) and that it will be allocated to a track by a judge in due course. When I asked the Mediation team if it was in the Small Claims Track already they said yes and now I am very worried.

I have wanted to discontinue this for a while as though I know they have no right to take my money, the stress of this and fact I haven't followed correct pre action protocol makes me want to drop this. I have recently found I have anxiety disorder and I know I am overreacting to a small case but I am sick with worry I will be liable with legal fees I can't afford.

I have sent further letters to the defendant, outlining where I believe their defence is untrue and my evidence that the money should not have been taken and attempting to settle. I sent this recorded delivery over 2 weeks ago and have received no response. I have never received any communication from the company other than the defence they filed with the court. I know I have not followed correct procedures and am happy to let this go for the sake of the stress its giving me but I am worried that now:

it has not yet been allocated to the small claims track it seems that if i discontinue I can be liable for legal fees and costs? could I of been seen to have been unreasonable and have costs against me anyway (i have tried to liaise with company since, they have not sent me DQ, not responded to my letters or confirmed a mediation appointment)?

If I wait to see if it gets allocated to the small claims track, that would automatically be notice of a hearing and if I discontinue then it will look very poor as its a later stage and I will still be liable?

I haven't received their DQ so i don't know if they have asked for any witnesses / experts and the costs for these, is there anyway I can find out and again if i discontinue either now or when its been allocated am I liable for those costs (I read up to £750)?

I'm sorry for the very long explanation, I'm really so worried over this I just want to get on with my life and drop it and I've learnt my lesson on pre action protocol, as long as I won't be suable for large 'legal' costs?
    Tags: None

You're reading , overthinking and getting yourself in a pickle xxx.

Do you have your particulars of claim handy that you could post up ? and their defence ? Then we know what we're looking at.

Its been transferred to your local court just as that's the relevant stage after DQs have been submitted - no one yet has so much as read the claim or defence - the court it has been transferred to will do that and issue any directions and set a hearing date. To discontinue now could attract an application for costs so normally you'd come to an agreement with the other side to 'drop hands' - ie both sides bear own costs. But let's see what your claim is first - you sound like their defence has worried you and the transfer to local court has spooked you a bit.

Also any specific reason why you've put the director as second defendant? And Did you file the claim online ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X