• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dishonest Contractor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dishonest Contractor

The contractor I employed to undertake a single story extension, rewire and new central heating system quoted me 32k. He did a few extras which weren’t agreed or costed and he was acting as a project manager. He wouldn’t provide a breakdown of costs at any stage.
    He also committed a criminal offence by illegally moving the mains electricity cable and meter himself. He also stole paperwork from our bedroom. The amount of money in dispute was less than 10k but now he has produced some back dated invoices with all this “VAT” added on, but he said this was included in the beginning. He’s now asking for 17k (total 43k) so his claim will probably be moved to the fast track instead. I’ve been given a directions questionnaire. I think he is trying to steam roller me into paying.

My question is. Knowing he is dishonest and a thief how can I be expected to try and resolve this prior to the hearing? I’ve repeatedly asked him for a proper breakdown of costs. He wants to appoint an expert surveyor. I have him on an audio recording asking me for 8k and repeatedly asking us for a copy of our estimate document which he subsequently stole.

I have a scanned image of only one page of the builders estimate. His solicitor sent me a copy of it and it has been altered with +vat scribbled on in biro and photocopied.

I’ve just realised yesterday too that the extension is overhanging my neighbours by 70mm. He hasn’t followed the plans agreed with building control.

We also had a gas safe inspection and the new boiler was turned off, dangerous do not use. I’ve also had a letter off Scottish Power saying that they have warned him about his unauthorised work on my mains cable and meter

Many Thanks for any advice

M
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X