• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Fixing debt caused by immigration issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing debt caused by immigration issues

I had a nasty divorce a few years back and my ex wife (wife then) swiftly told the Home Office that we were no longer together after a short separation.
    My right to stay in UK was based on our marriage and the Home office quickly contacted me for my "new grounds" for staying in the UK since we did not have children.
    I was told to leave the UK but was able to reapply with my current wife (fiancee at the time).
    It took a few years to get the right to stay and work in the UK approved based on my wife earning over the threshold and us having a lovely daughter.
    I had paid off all debts owed by my ex wife (hers and joint) after the divorce but couldn't pay my own debts during this period.

I have been able to get defaults removed and CCJs set aside for my current wife with skills learnt from the forum but I personally have one default left ( 3 years ago) and CCJ ( 5 years ago) left on my credit file.

I have spotted some procedural errors, difference in claimed amounts, wrong default dates e.t.c that i would like to use to get my credit file repaired but i'll like to know if Immigration prevention me from working is grounds for removing defaults or CCJs?

Should i even mention this in my verbal or written communication with the DCAs?.

I don't mind paying part or full settlements but naturally want debts deleted rather than satisfied but don't know if to avoid mentioning the immigration issue to the DCAs or even at a CCJ set aside hearing.
    I didn't get the Default letter and CCJ forms but there's a chance that my ex wife threw away some of my mail before i agreed to pay her debts off.

Can anyone clarify if i have mitigating circumstances? Or it's irrelevant since i didn't inform the Original creditors & DCAs of my immigration status at the earliest opportunity and haven't changed address in a decade.

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X