• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ after 6 years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ after 6 years

Apologies if this is in the wrong place but I wasnt sure where to put it tbh.

I have a CCJ from 2014, for the amount of approx £9k, I have been paying this at £25 a month ever since, still owing over £7k.

I've been wanting to move house for years but my poor credit history has stopped me even attempting to apply for a new mortgage (currently stuck in a very poor NRAM mortgage).

When the CCJ's 6 years is up, will it still drop off my credit report or will it stay on until its paid in full?

Feel like I'm going to be stuck in this house for the next ten years until the mortgage is paid off
    Tags: None

Hi

As well as Credit Reference Agency credit reports, CCJs are also on the Trust Online register.
    https://www.trustonline.org.uk/

Both should 'drop off' the registers after 6 years, but any balance owing at that time will still be enforceable going forward. (with the court's permission.).
    CCJs do not have an 'expiry' date (unlike other 'simple' debts which, under certain circumstances, are still owed but are unenforceable via the court after 6 years...5 in Scotland.)
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thanks,

Yeah I realise that the debt is still enforceable even after the 6 years, I have no issue with paying what I owe.

I'm just hoping that once it's off the report I'll be able to work towards getting a decent remortgage and be able to move house.

I wasn't sure if the CCJ would remain visible until it was fully paid.

Comment

I must admit that I'm not sure of that either.

Give Trust Online a ring.......they should be able to tell you.

(& if you find out, please post the info back on here......it would be helpful.)

I'll give Amethyst a nudge to see if she knows.

Of course, the lender might ask if you have any outstanding CCJs when you apply.
        Last edited by charitynjw; 3rd March 2019, 20:56:PM.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Me?

It falls off credit file and register at the 6 year point - but the debt still exists and for mortgages you'd have to disclose the debt and payments being made, and that it was under a court judgment ( as it's a priority and if payments ceased further enforcement could take place ). Settling is the best way to get it out of your hair as then it simply wouldn't need disclosing.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank you, Amethyst
            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Thanks very much for the advice.

Do you know if they are likely to entertain a partial settlement or not? Obviously they know they will get the full amount eventually so I have always just assumed they wouldn't accept an offer.

Comment

The CCJ dropping off your credit file won't help you that much as the payments to the CCJ will still be visible on your bank statements.

Most creditors will prefer a reasonable settlement now rather than £300 a year for the next 20 years.

Comment

I never thought about that tbh

I've just emailed the solicitor to ask for a statement of the account as I've never had one since the original judgement was issued. If I was to make an offer should I start at 50% and go from there?

Thanks

Comment

It's very hard to guess what creditors will accept. If the money is coming from a third party - a relative who is offering you the money to help you settle the CCJ - I would hope that many creditors would take 50%.

Comment

If it were me, any f&f offers made would be headed 'Without prejudice'.

That helps to protect your legal position.
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Thanks everyone, all advice greatly appreciated.

Comment

Hello again,

So today I recieved the account statement I asked for, this is the first statement I've ever had. I now owe more than I did originally when the CCJ was first issued! Are they allowed to add interest on whenever they want?

If I've done this right there should be 3 images attached here, the first set of £50 payments were before the debt went to court, then the £25 payments are when the CCJ started. Then in April 2016 they have added almost £2000 in interest and fees. The original debt was for a credit card if this makes a difference?Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20190311-181635_Drive-1036x504.jpg Views:	1 Size:	25.4 KB ID:	1454782Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20190311-181625_Drive-1036x504.jpg Views:	1 Size:	65.8 KB ID:	1454783Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20190311-181613_Drive-1036x504.jpg Views:	1 Size:	63.7 KB ID:	1454784
                          Last edited by Sandinmyears; 12th March 2019, 00:48:AM. Reason: Added extra info

Comment

you thought you had a CCJ for c 9k in 2014. But that doesn't show on the statement. I am wondering if they only added the interest and court costs that were part of the CCJ in 2016? that seems to be the only time interest has been added "after the CCj" - they aren't doing it every year.
                            Do you have the CCJ papers to check whether interest was added and what the court costs were?

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I got the figure of 9k because before I started this post I emailed the solicitor to ask for the balance of the account, they said it was £7705.59, as I had been paying £25 a month since 17/12/14 (first CCJ payment) I assumed the original CCJ was for £9000+

I then emailed to ask for the account statement and recieved this.

The CCJ was started in December 2014 these charges and interest weren't added until April 2016.

I believe I may have the CCJ paperwork at home, I will check when I can.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X