• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Spurious county court judgement- possibly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spurious county court judgement- possibly

Please could I get some advice on a legal issue a friend has got?

Upshot is she booked an advert in a publication for £250. She didn't pay (usual personal issues ect)
    They then chucked a county court claim form in for £410 + £35 FEES.
    I think they have gained a judgement by default as the claim went to my friends old trading address (I will know for sure tomorrow) and she has only discovered this today.
    They then added £150 debt collection charges and also £75 bailiff charges.

She then entered into a payment plan and paid over the debt amount and they have offered the amount paid over less interest.

However she isn't sure she signed any contract and they stated they do not have a copy.

Would it be feasible to take them to court for the full amount on the basis that they have no evidence of a contract? And therefore the debt never even existed.

Tags: None

There is a general presumption that making payment of a judgment or debt is an admission. If she wasn't sure she should have made an application to set aside the judgment and defended the claim or negotiated a payment without having a CCJ to her name.

You've not said when she became of the default judgment and how long she has been paying.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Cheers for responding.

She has been paying £15 a week for about 18 months. However she didn't realise they had gained a CCJ until they informed me yesterday..

The upshot or concern I had was when I asked the company for a copy of the signed contract they stated they haven't got a copy of it as under GDPR
      law they have to delete contracts after I think two years ( they didn't specify an exact time frame and were very vague) which sounds like nonsense to me as they have everything else (her name, address, original court form ect).
      I'm wondering if she even signed any contract in the first place. However I agree with what you said that paying is an admission the money was owed to begin with.

Comment

What date was the judgment originally ? It will stay on the credit file and judgment register for 6 years from that date. If she has paid it all off now though she can ask it to be marked as satisfied on the register.

Other than asking for a refund of money she has overpaid there's nothing else she can do. It's long since past the time for apply to set aside the judgment ( really that should have been done pretty quickly after the bailiff attended and she became aware of the judgment ).
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X