• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking charge CCJ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking charge CCJ

Ive received a letter today telling me ive got a county court judgement for a parking fine.

It Transpires my mother registered her car in my name and did not change the address when she moved. she got a parking charge. but as they did not have the correct address have obtained the county court judgement. Ive never driven the car, insured it, or btained a charge. she recently changed the V5 to her name and hence the letter has turned up.

What can I do. I don't think I should be receiving a CCJ for something I am not responsible for. any help appreciated.

Steveeasy
    Tags: None

That is a minefield.

Doesn't look to me like the parking company did anything untoward, they will have served the registered keeper using the details recorded by the DVLA, there is a legal obligation to keep the DVLA informed of any change of address, let alone keeper and that attracts a potential fine of (I think) £1,000.00.

An application to set judgment aside would bring that to light very quickly and you may have a hard time convincing the Court that the judgment ought to be set aside given the statutory provisions (protection from freedoms act) have been complied with.
    I am not legally qualified and my comments and observations are not given, nor are they to be taken or relied upon as legal advice. Debt matters are often complex and public forums should not be seen as a substitute for professional legal advice.

Comment

Thank you Rebz,

To clarify the situation , im the father. the mother registered her car in her sons name. then did not change the address when she moved. she unknowingly had a parking charge. the company have done nothing wrong and have obtained a CCJ for the charge but to the wrong person.

The son does not even now anything about this yet. the person who is responsible is the mother. she may be fined for her errors but surley the son has done nothing wrong at all. Its how it is sorted out. im sure the mother will be more than willing to provide a witness statement and face any penalties.

thank you

Steveeasy

Comment

I would have thought the answer is no knowledge of the car as never owned etc.

Comment

essentially what you are suggesting and what you would be alleging in an application to set judgment aside, is that judgment should be set aside on the basis of the fraud by a third party, related to the Defendant, and entirely without knowledge of the Claimant.

If you can prove that then you may see the judgment set aside but you will need to prove that the DVLA records were false and even then there is still the potential for the Court to either reject the argument or take the stance that, as much as that sucks, the claim is good and the remedy is to raise an action against the mother for fraud.

Serious consideration need be given to the potentially serious consequences that could stem from that criminal and civil. I suggest independent and properly regulated legal advice on this one. Perhaps the mother could be substituted as Defendant in the proceedings under CPR Part 19?
          I am not legally qualified and my comments and observations are not given, nor are they to be taken or relied upon as legal advice. Debt matters are often complex and public forums should not be seen as a substitute for professional legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X