• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Caveat / loophole in small claims court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caveat / loophole in small claims court

If taking a limted company to small claims court, is it possible for the director to disolve the company and then open up a new one to avoid paying the claim?

If so is there a caveat that can be written on the summons stating words to the effect of " XYZ Ltd or in the event of company closure, any subsequent company created by Director (NAME) or opened in the name of (director) spouse / family members"

Many thanks
    Tags: None

If the company try that then you keep an eye on the Company's Hose records and object when they try and dissolve.

Comment

There is nothing you can do about this. It happens ALL the time. That is precisely why some people set up limited companies, I'm afraid. It's almost impossible to pierce the corporate veil. Has the director deliberately defrauded you, or has he done the job, but rather poorly?

Any chance you paid by credit card?

You can stop the company being dissolved, but will that help you if there's no money in it?

Comment

Because if the directors try to move money out of the company illegally or with the aim of not paying debts then you may be able to take action against the director.

Comment

Thanks, I am guessing it takes longer than a few hours to disolve a company so my best bet is to check the public record for any such activity and then submit an objection as a creditor?

I am taking the company to court under the consumer rights act 2015 for not refusing to repair faulty goods that where sold to me.

Comment

It depends how big your claim is in relation to the size of the company. If your claim is tiny, they won't bother with any of this. If your claim is large, it is easy for them to start a new company as soon as your claim comes in and direct any new business to that company.

They can continue paying staff/directors in the old company etc. They can also pay for materials/sub-contractors from the old company. Some of this may be legit and some fraudulent, but you won't have access to the records to prove any fraudulent activity. Your claim, if they defend it, will take several months to come to court, and they can siphon a fair bit of money out of the company over that time.

If you, as one of the main creditors following a successful outcome to your court case, appoint a liquidator for the company and fund the liquidator to the tune of a good few £,000s, he might investigate effectively and find fraud. It depends how clever the directors are at making it look legit.

Can I ask how much you are claiming?

Comment

I am claiming for £3500

Comment

Ouch! And you paid none of it by credit card?

Comment

No - I am claiming through the scottish small claims court. I believe the limit is £3000 but the website says for claims upto £5000 after the 28th November to use a simple claim form. Take it the limit is rising to £5000 on this date?

Comment

The simple procedure for small claims upto £5000 commenced on 28 November 2016

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X