• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

criminal damage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• criminal damage

Hi, I’ve been a bit of an idiot . Found out my husband was having an affair and damaged the other woman’s front door and smashed a small window . She has given a quote to the police of £800 . I have been told by my ex he has already paid £800 so I am confused as to why I still have to pay £800 making it a total of £1600. It is only a single window and a composite door (I think) where do I stand do I still have to pay?
    Tags: None

I think it depends if your husband paid the £800 to help her out getting the damage fixed with a view to her repaying him when you pay her, or if he paid it on your behalf. Or indeed if it's £1600 overall and your husband has paid half already. So that needs finding out first then speak to the Police.

Composite doors and fitting can easily be £800 on their own.

Just random door website for an idea - https://www.we-do-doors.co.uk/browse...-1308/s-white/
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Your husband has apparently already paid for the repair work to be carried out, so perhaps you should reimburse him?

You have committed a crime, but it is not clear from your post whether the police are still investigating this? Or have they simply closed the file now the door has been replaced?

If thisi goes to court you may be ordered to pay compensation, but you don't have to pay until ordered to do so. On the other hand paying the cost now shows contrition and may lead to a lower fine being imposed. To be frank, this isn't the crime of the century, and I can't see the magistrates doing more than fining you and/or giving you community service. You can check the sentencing guidelines if you are worried.

I am assuming you didn't set fire to the door or do anything that would put someone in fear of harm to themselves?

Comment

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk...iminal-damage/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X