• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Enforcement of sale of property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enforcement of sale of property

Hi, hope I can get a couple of replies.
    I have had a court judgment against me a few days ago by trial, I haven't received the order yet.with full details set out.,
    it is approx 40 k. It looks like it will be an enforcement order to collect monies from me. I jointly own our home with my husband.
    Can my husband be forced to agree to the sale of property to raise funds ?
    this is the worst case senario for me, but there may not be an option for any negotiations with the claiment.
    it's a very lengthy case to give background, but this is where I am at present, i can not afford legal advise on how to respond to judgement or pay the judgment
    happy to respond to any questions which may help with a reply.
    Tags: None

You own half the house, so yes I am afraid your husband can ultimately be forced to agree to a sale.

Is your share of the equity in the house at least £40k?

Can your husband afford to buy out your half-share from you, thus freeing up the capital?

Edit: I won't delete this, as it may be of some help, but please see Amethyst's post below.
    Last edited by 2222; 11th October 2018, 16:23:PM.

Comment

How is the house owned, is it as tenants in common or joint tenants ( it is likely to be joint tenants, most are if the house is bought together on a standard mortgage ). If the judgment is against just you, and you are tenants in common (owning say 50% of the property each) then the judgment holder could only obtain a charge over your half of the property, however if joint tenants that means you each own 100% of the property and the judgment holder could apply for a charge on the whole property, and potentially, unless you managed to negotiate instalment payments, request the court make a sale order.

You can of course defend against an application for a sale order. Issues like it being the main family home, if there's children, lack of equity and so on.
      Having an instalment set up to pay the claimants would of course help.

Is the actual judgment a forthwith order ( were instalments etc discussed at the hearing ?) ? You could apply to the court to pay by instalments based on your circumstances, but even if granted the judgment holder is likely to be granted permission to secure the judgment debt on your house... then if you failed with any of the instalments, they could apply for a sale order.

There's also the option to go bankrupt but that needs careful thought and you'll need formal advice. https://www.gov.uk/bankruptcy/your-home

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi, thanks for your reply. The property is joint tenants with a paid off mortgage in joint names.
        I assume it is now to late to make any changes to this.
        No children at property. His hand main income provider with only 3 years to retirement. I think there is enough equity in the property but couldn't afford to borrow over 3years,.or an acceptable installment offer over 3years.
        No instalments was discussed in summing up, so I assume payment forthwith.
        it is a family dispute and a lot of bitterness by claiment, so not expecting any negotiations on offer unless happy with satisfaction from been awarded judgment.
        I belive the the judgement holder can apply to make me bankrupt if desires.

When can I apply to the court for installments, before or after speaking to judgement holder ?

one of the amounts included in the judgement I dispute the value of and considering asking it be looked at again crossed referenced with my evidence, the judge had allowed for the claim to be added days before the trial also i dispute the claimants legal fees which I had not seen prior to the trial, the judge did allow me 10minutes view his copy. (Both parties had been defending themselves and I had not received copies of all the documents in to court).
        Ididnt feel comfortable raising the issue when given the opportunity to speak and felt intimidated by claimants supporters been present. I'm assuming I have lost the chance to ask the court to consider again.

The whole situation has been very stressful and needs concluding so torn about appealing to part of the judgement. The judgement was given on probabilities.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X