• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

2nd claim received following strike out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd claim received following strike out

About 4 years ago I defended a claim for a Santander store card which was stuck out [after the claimant failed to submit the DQ or pay the fee]. We then moved house. I have now found out that the account was then sold on and another claim was issued to my old address last year. Obviously I was not aware of this so judgment was obtained against me. If I apply to set aside the ccj and the defend again it will cost £255 for the n244 so I am wondering if I should contact the solictors and ask them to consent to set aside first. Can a claim be issued for the same account even after assignment? Surely the rights are continued following assignment so the new owner of the account is in the same position as previously in regard to issuing a claim...……...unless the new owner is not aware of the previous claim? Any thoughts please.
    Tags: None

I would write to the current judgment holder stating that you have just discovered the ccj and intend to apply to set aside due to a) the claim on the same cause of action having been previously brought against you and struck out after defence was filed and b) that you did not receive the claim due to change of address - and ask they consent to set aside - if you do have details ( claim form and judgment order ) for the previous claim enclose those. Mention costs of the application will be requested. Give them 14 days to respond then file your application ( and tell them that's what you're doing)

Do you recall at all who the claimant was in the previous claim ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hello

I do hope you still have the documentation relating to that claim which was struck out? If not, you have a bit of an uphill struggle.

First of all, if you haven't done a set aside application before I would suggest you have a read of my guide to get you started and understand the background to set aside applications: http://legalbeagles.info/forums/foru...tailed-version.

Second, I think you should definitely write to the creditor who purchased the debt and put them on notice that the claim was previously struck out when a claim was brought by the predecessor. This is where you need the evidence to prove it was struck out and invite them to consent to the set aside and withdraw their claim completely. Your defence to the claim will be on the basis of Res Judicata i.e. it is a legal doctrine that prevents a claim being re-litigated where it has already been determined and therefore an abuse of process. That said, a claim which is struck out can only be reinstated with the Court's permission. I presume the latest creditor never did this or became aware that a claim was previously issued.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Excellent replies, thank you both.
        First claimant was Santander cards using Cohen. Following an order to submit DQ's it all went quiet so I rang Northampton and they said it had been struck out but I never received any written confirmation of that. I'm thinking that I should contact them and ask for some info by email. I do have the original claim form though.

I'll contact Northampton and see if I can obtain anything and then write to the current holder.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X