• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Pre-Action Protocol Questions - Victim of Fraud

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Action Protocol Questions - Victim of Fraud

OK, i'll keep it as brief as possible.

Customer contacts me to work on his car. Is sent regular statements.Invoice emailed and discussed prior to collection.

Arrives to collect car. Tests drives and inspects with no problems.

Time to pay the bill. Is £1000 short. Claims misunderstood due to medication. Lots of playacting - pretending to call mother, then got threatening,. After 2 hours, i accepted his Rolex watch as security. Claimed it was worth 5-6K. Needed 2 weeks to pay what he owed.

Yep, you've guessed it - watch is fake, not been onto me to get watch back.

Have reported to ActionFraud. Awaiting to hear.

So now i want to take him to court.

I'm aware of new PAP regarding Letter Before CC Claim.

1) He is resident in Scotland. I live and work in England. I understand this doesn't affect the procedures. Is this right?

2) Do i still have to mention ADR etc considering this is a straight fraud?

3) I want to claim my time for time spent getting watch authenticated. Do i issue an invoice now, or wait and add it to the costs request (assuming i win)?

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

civil procedure rules 6.32 and 6.33.will apply to issuing a claim against a debtor residing in Scotland when the originating agreement or contract is governed by English law and subject to the jurisdiction of the Courts of England and Wales.

I would use the new PAP

It seems to me this is not fraud but only a failure to pay an outstanding debt.
    You were left an item as security, not as payment. IMO you should have checked its value before accepting it, but there you are!
    i don't see you have a claim for your time having it valued.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

So, despite a deliberate, premeditated act of deception resulting in a victim being £1000 lighter, there has been no criminal act. Brilliant! No wonder this country is where it is...

So, back to the Letter Before Claim.

If i've understood the CPRs you mentioned correctly, the fact he lives in Scotland requires no special procedures at this stage.

The PAP mentions offering mediation, ADR etc. Do i have to do that in this case? Surely they are not relevant and offering makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by muttley View Post
        Thank you for your reply.

So, despite a deliberate, premeditated act of deception resulting in a victim being £1000 lighter, there has been no criminal act. Brilliant! No wonder this country is where it is...
        You have lost £1000. Your claim is that it is a debt that remains unpaid.
        You could try a claim on the basis of misrepresentation IE he tried to pay with an overvalued item
        But you actually accepted the item as security, not as payment.
        Also you can only claim the £1000 once, and your best chance of winning is as unpaid debt
        By the by, have you checked he has the money or assets to be able to pay?

If i've understood the CPRs you mentioned correctly, the fact he lives in Scotland requires no special procedures at this stage.Correct

The PAP mentions offering mediation, ADR etc. Do i have to do that in this case? Surely they are not relevant and offering makes no sense
        It is not a case of making sense, but following directions so that you appear to be doing your utmost to be reasonable and avoid court..
        Comments in red

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X