• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

arrow global vs me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arrow global vs me

Good day everyone I need to some help please. I received a letter dated 12 june 2018 from shoosmiths their client Arrow Global. They informed me that there client obtained a ccj last septemebr 2017 for £11351.42. I don't recognise the debt . never had any paperwork for such an amount and have moved address 6 times fleeing domestic violence . I don't know who this debt was original with never had any demands for such an amount ever. they are requesting that I fill in an expense's sheet of income and out goings. however my circumstances are difficult and complicated with my health. I can only think that this is a debt with a massive amount of interest from 2011 /2012 . I have not replied to them in anyway but they are threating taking it back to court for an attachment of earnings. which now I am unable to work. so how do I deal with this please? can I get it set aside and then defend the claim?
    Tags: None

First of all, you need to ask them for a copy of the judgment given by the Court. Ask them to post it or set up a new email account to deal solely with this matter (arrowshoe@gmail.com or something) and ask them to email a scan. At the same time ask them for a copy of the Claim form and the Particulars of Claim, and a copy of the original agreement on which the claim is based (it will probably be a credit application or similar).
    You say that you do not recognise the debt. If after reading the particulars of claim you still don't recognise the debt, or if it appears to be more than six years old (the 'end' of the debt, not the 'beginning') then you should write to Shoosmiths setting out your position in short, calm sentences and short paragraphs and using only polite language.
    Your position is that 1. they failed to properly serve the proceedings on you, and 2. you don't owe the money anyway and invite them to cooperate with you in applying to the court to have the judgment set aside. You should point out that they seemed to find out your address when they wanted to demand the money from you but apparently couldn't be bothered to locate you to ensure the proceedings were properly served. If they will agree to do so, all well and good. You should suggest that once judgment is set aside there should be a stay of 3 months before you have to file and serve your defence so that the discussions and possibly negotiations that should have happened before the claim was issued can take place.
    You should also point out that if they make you make an application to set aside then you will incur costs and you will ask the court to award those costs to you when it sets the judgment aside (£255 for the court fee and £19 an hour for the time you spend on the application - make sure you keep records; so many minutes reading a letter, so many minutes writing a letter, so many minutes on a phone call.)
    If, having read the Particulars of Claim you are able to work out what might have happened and how it came about that they thought you owed the money (domestic abusers have been known to make credit applications not in their own name) then you can write about that too. Otherwise, you just say 'I've never borrowed this money / had this credit card / whatever.'
    If they won't agree to set it aside then you will have to apply yourself. A good resource is The handbook for litigants in person - chapter 13 deals with interim applications (of which this is an example). When you make the application you'll need to show the judge 1. why you didn't take part in the proceedings (because you didn't know about them), 2. that you applied promptly once you discovered what had happened (but you won't be penalised for spending a week or so trying to get Shoosmiths to agreed to a joint application) and 3. that you have a reasonable prospect of successfully defending the claim (and here you will need to draft a Defence; it need not be particularly sophisticated - read the Handbook chapter on Defences; the Defence is how the court decides whether you have reasonable prospects of succeeding).
    Come back and post her if you hit any hurdles.

Comment

Originally posted by davenewbergr View Post
      First of all, you need to ask them for a copy of the judgment given by the Court. Ask them to post it or set up a new email account to deal solely with this matter (arrowshoe@gmail.com or something) and ask them to email a scan. At the same time ask them for a copy of the Claim form and the Particulars of Claim, and a copy of the original agreement on which the claim is based (it will probably be a credit application or similar).
      You say that you do not recognise the debt. If after reading the particulars of claim you still don't recognise the debt, or if it appears to be more than six years old (the 'end' of the debt, not the 'beginning') then you should write to Shoosmiths setting out your position in short, calm sentences and short paragraphs and using only polite language.
      Your position is that 1. they failed to properly serve the proceedings on you, and 2. you don't owe the money anyway and invite them to cooperate with you in applying to the court to have the judgment set aside. You should point out that they seemed to find out your address when they wanted to demand the money from you but apparently couldn't be bothered to locate you to ensure the proceedings were properly served. If they will agree to do so, all well and good. You should suggest that once judgment is set aside there should be a stay of 3 months before you have to file and serve your defence so that the discussions and possibly negotiations that should have happened before the claim was issued can take place.
      You should also point out that if they make you make an application to set aside then you will incur costs and you will ask the court to award those costs to you when it sets the judgment aside (£255 for the court fee and £19 an hour for the time you spend on the application - make sure you keep records; so many minutes reading a letter, so many minutes writing a letter, so many minutes on a phone call.)
      If, having read the Particulars of Claim you are able to work out what might have happened and how it came about that they thought you owed the money (domestic abusers have been known to make credit applications not in their own name) then you can write about that too. Otherwise, you just say 'I've never borrowed this money / had this credit card / whatever.'
      If they won't agree to set it aside then you will have to apply yourself. A good resource is The handbook for litigants in person - chapter 13 deals with interim applications (of which this is an example). When you make the application you'll need to show the judge 1. why you didn't take part in the proceedings (because you didn't know about them), 2. that you applied promptly once you discovered what had happened (but you won't be penalised for spending a week or so trying to get Shoosmiths to agreed to a joint application) and 3. that you have a reasonable prospect of successfully defending the claim (and here you will need to draft a Defence; it need not be particularly sophisticated - read the Handbook chapter on Defences; the Defence is how the court decides whether you have reasonable prospects of succeeding).
      Come back and post her if you hit any hurdles.
      my situation is complex as I am disabled and unable to work along with being a sufferer of Complex PTSD anxiety and depression . and have suffered with this since 1996 so even though I can read I can not concentrate to read and any words just appear like black lines I have yo get some one to read things for me.
      so who do I contact first?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X