• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small Claims hearing - no documents served for counterclaim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Claims hearing - no documents served for counterclaim

I have a hearing in the Small Claims track coming up in a couple of weeks. The deadline for serving documents to be used in the hearing has just passed, but the Defendant, who has also filed a counterclaim against me, hasn't served me with anything.

Should I notify the Court of this ahead of the hearing in any way? Clearly if the Defendant has filed documents with the Court itself the judge will be expecting to hear the counterclaim with reliance on those documents, but I will not have been afforded my right to familiarise myself with the basis of the hearing.

If there's any chance this will lead to a rescheduling of the hearing it would save a lot of everyone's time to establish this without having to attend the hearing as currently scheduled. And if the Defendant has missed his chance to properly counterclaim, I think it would be very helpful to make known that he will be forced to rely only on the documents I've submitted, or that the counterclaim will be struck out, ahead of the hearing, as it might finally persuade him to settle. So is there anything I can do to prompt this?
    Tags: None

Best bet is to give the court a call to inform them you've not received anything from the claimant and could they check if he has filed anything and not served it on you... they will likely make a note on the file, and should they turn up at the hearing with documents that haven't been served on you can ask for it not be allowed to be relied on ( likely resulting in an adjournment for you to assess those documents ).

Did you file a defence to the counterclaim ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Sensible advice, thanks. I just called and the Court were able to confirm to me that nothing had been served.

I have filed a letter of response to the counterclaim (bizarrely, the N271 Notice of Transfer of Proceedings asked me to complete a nonexistent form provided by the Court) which I assume has the effect of a filed defence.

What I did learn was that the Defendant filed their Directions Questionnaire with the Court (and failed to serve it to me - see thread) more than two weeks after the claim had already been allocated a hearing, two months after the deadline for the questionnaire itself!

Should be an interesting hearing.

Comment

Always do everything in writing. By all means call the court, but once you have made progress, put it in writing. A letter, or an email, saying something like: "Further to our telephone conversation earlier today, I confirm that I notified you that the Defendant had not served any evidence on me by the date specified in the directions nor at all, and I was advised by you that the Defendant had not filed any evidence with the Court." That letter will be seen by the judge when he reads the file (which we hope he/she has time to do) before the trial. Then send an email or letter to the Defendant: "Please find enclosed copy of my letter to the Court of today's date, the contents of which are self-explanatory. I wondered whether, having not filed nor served any evidence, you now wish to discontinue your counterclaim, and whether you intend to continue to defend my claim without any evidence to support your case?"
        A Defence, by the way, is a technical document. It should address every allegation made in the (in this case, counterclaim) and say whether it is admitted, or denied, or whether you don't have the information to enable you to admit or deny.

Comment

Well no documents materialised anywhere in the end, so the failure to serve was self-evident; nor did the defendant materialise at the hearing. Both were noted when awarding unreasonable behaviour costs at judgement, so great success all round. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X