• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I have been duped by an old friend (£200). What are my options?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have been duped by an old friend (£200). What are my options?

An old friend of mine from my school days (we're talking 15+ years ago) messaged me on Facebook recently stating he was stuck abroad needing £200 to pay for a new passport as he had miss-placed his. He wanted me to meet a member of his family in London (he said i was the only one in London he knew, hence contacting me) who doesn't have online banking (and this was a Sunday) who would give me £200, and then i would transfer £200 via my online banking. I had a new phone so my online banking needed me to enter the bank to attach the new phone to my card, which i couldn't do as it was a Sunday. Anyways, although it's been a long while that we had seen each other (we had messaged back and forth on FB over the years), and he said his family member was struggling to meet, i offered to send him the £200 from my partners account, on the trust he would pay back the next day when he landed. I would genuinely hate to be stuck in his position so i offered this, to which he obviously accepted. He was incredibly thankful blah blah blah. He then tried over several days to send the money back, or at least claims to try, however his bank "were holding his funds due to him trying to access his money abroad. as a safety precaution". Over a number of days, he continued to message asking if the money has arrived. However, it never did. Now he won't return my calls, and has now blocked me from his Facebook.

I have a phone number he was using and i have pictures of the facebook conversation, alongside the text messages. I feel stupid that this has happened, when i think about it i was silly to believe someone after not seeing them for so long, however i had no reason to think he would do this. He genuinely sounded in need (we had a phone convo before we sent the cash to him).

It's £200 and i can get over it. However, it's the principle. I don't know his address, although he mentioned where he lived and what he did for a Job. Funnily enough, i actually believe his job role as he mentioned things about it that somebody just wouldn't make up on the spot. Either that, or he's a brilliant fraudster. Ha!

Anyways, i know i was silly to do this. But what are my legal options? Of course, there is the small claims court, but i need to send a Letter Before Action but i don't have his address. Does anybody know how i can get his address? I may have his job role and the company he works for. He also has an uncommon name.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Tags: None

Thinking about it, it should be easy for someone legal to get his address as we have his bank account and sort code. Right?

Comment

Have you tried typing his name into Google?
      !t might throw up some leads, otherwise look for a tracing agent.

Comment

I’ve tried google searching his name, 192.com, linked in etc but I’m not getting anything. The only details I have are his phone number, bank acc and sort code.

The tracing agents charge a fee, however can I add this charge to the money he owes me?

Comment

you can try... don't ask, don't get
          There are tracing agents who work on a no find no fee basis,

Comment

I don’t have a last known address, and the cheapest I can find is £75 by Vilcol.

Comment

If you don't know his address you can't serve court papers on him.
              Is it even worth suing him?
              Could he repay the loan, plus court costs plus the tracing fee?

Comment

I might just have to suck it up and move on.

Comment

bad as years ago we loaned a mate wedding money until his payday (he was leaving a government job) and moving away, £750, also sold them new furniture for them to start in new place away from this area, arranged to visit them Monday morning 6 a.m. to help them load up removals etc and collect the monies owed, ==== They had gone the night before it seems, so I rang the government department to be told he had been paid off on the Friday urghhhhhhhhhhhhh, his father was going to give me his own telephone number before he went back to wales where he came from, but events did not happen, never again would I help anybody , as I found out later when I needed help nobody cared!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X