• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Amigo Loans - Pending CCJ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amigo Loans - Pending CCJ

Hello all,

New to the forum, and looking for some guidance please.

I stupidly agreed to act as a guarantor for my mother-in-law in 2015 on an Amigo Loan for £7500.
    Everything went smoothly until early 2017 when there was an incident within the family, meaning her and her partner didn't work for approx 6 months. During this time I covered the payments, then my MIL set up a weekly payment plan for a reduced amount (approx £60 a month less than the contracted payments).
    I then found myself in financial difficulty, entering into a debt management plan with Step Change.

Since then, things have taken a turn for the worst. I have struggled for several months and am finally getting back on top of my finances, and then my MIL stopped paying her payments. She would make maybe one payment every month or so. Amigo chased me for the payments as expected, I went through an income and expenditure breakdown with them and in March I did make a payment of £220. My wife then took ill, meaning our income was reduced temporarily. I did explain this and they understood. This was mid April time. I have more recently found out that my wife is pregnant, meaning I am eager to have a better control of my outgoings as we need to budget more strictly for her maternity leave etc.

It may be worth noting that I informed amigo loans I can not ring them during their opening hours as I work 7-7 shifts mostly, in environments where I do not have access to a phone, but do have access to emails. Yet, they would not make any formal agreements via email to help this debt.

There is arrears of approx £950, which I am in the position (with some tight budgeting) to clear at the end of this month, but Amigo won't accept this and have submitted papers to court. I'm awaiting the response pack now, but I am unsure on how to proceed from here. I have checked all my credit file, but there is no account listed for amigo, nor is there a default against me in regards for this.

I plan on making a considerable payment at the end of the month regardless, to show to court I haven't just been ignoring the debt. I understand the severity, and I do not dispute that I guaranteed the debt, but do I have any ground to defend or only partially accept liability as I was not the one who actually spent or received any benefit from the money? Or am I best just swallowing the sour taste in my mouth, accept the debt and agree a payment plan with the court.

I look forward to hearing peoples advice.

Thanks in advance,
    Alex
    Tags: None

Did Amigo go through all the relevant credit checks and give you opportunity to seek your own legal advice before signing the pg agreement ? Do you have a copy of the agreement and terms?

Is the debt actually defaulted or is the claim the claim just for the arrears ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

It would be helpful to see the particulars of claim issued by amigo as well as the Agreement and the Personal Guarantee, but by the sounds of it so far, it doesn't sound wonderful.
      I am not legally qualified and my comments and observations are not given, nor are they to be taken or relied upon as legal advice. Debt matters are often complex and public forums should not be seen as a substitute for professional legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X