• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

RLP limited letters - help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RLP limited letters - help!

I have had an issue with shoplifting for a few years. My psychiatrist has said it is an addictive behaviour condition. It has been inevitable that I would get caught and I did get caught in John Lewis with what totalled up to be around £385 worth of skincare products. All the posts I’ve seen here are much lower overall total of theft.

In store I was given a lifetime ban from the shop itself, a year ban from the shopping centre and was told the police would be visiting me. The whole incident was around 15 - 20 minutes long. The items were all returned in sellable condition, I admitted wrongdoing, a photo of my ID and myself were taken. Security were wearing body cams so this is all recorded.

I have spent the past few weeks in complete panic mode waiting for the police to knock on the door, instead I have now received a letter from RLP Limited requesting £325.

From reading other threads it appears the general consensus is ignore letters, RLP will eventually sell off to debt collector who will not be able to pursue.

My question is due to the value of the items and the amount requested by £325, am I in a different position? I am terrified that if I don’t pay the store will proceed with police. I am
    currently unemployed after taking voluntary redundancy and trying to find a job, I don’t want something to appear on my criminal record to prevent me from finding a job. Should I pay the £325? I would struggle to do so but would rather that than this process be dragged out.

Any help is really appreciated. I am struggling massively with my mental health and have just been diagnosed with autism.
    Tags: None

Hi

Try not to worry, if the police were going to be coming after you, it would have happened by now. I suppose there is a very slight risk that John Lewis would look to bring a private prosecution against you but no store that I am aware of has done that, and I can't see the incentive because it will cost John Lewis money that they won't be able to get back, particularly the legal fees that are most likely going to exceed the items you stole.

The general consensus is that they pass the buck to RLP who like to send the threatening letters up to and including a letter before claim, but not actually following through with it, because those costs typically don't stack up, are grossly inflated and finally, RLP would be suing on behalf of John Lewis who would be the claimant in civil proceedings - that might not be a good look for them reputation wise. Again, it will cost them more unrecoverable legal fees by bringing a civil claim and therefore not worth the hassle.

Some people on here advise to ignore the letters and it will end up going away, but I prefer to suggest tackling it head on, challenging them and call them out for harassment for costs that RLP's clients never actually incurred and these fees (or part of them) are likely to include RLP fees hidden under the guise of these costs that have allegedly been incurred.

The choice is yours, but I don't think the value is of much relevance as to whether they will sue or not. RLP have tried this back in 2008 or thereabouts in a test caseand had their fingers burnt. Since then I don't believe they have made a successful claim that wasn't a default judgment based on the defendant not responding to a defence.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X