• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Caught Shoplifting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught Shoplifting

Hello all,
    I just wanted to start by saying that what I did was completely wrong and should have never been done in the first place. It was my first, only and last time that I will do this sort of thing again.
    I was recently caught shoplifting an item worth £19.99 and was stopped after I had left the till as I was paying for another item (I know it makes no sense not to just pay for both I don't know what my thought process was doing at the time). The security guard was very polite and pulled me to one side then took me to an office in the back. He made me empty the item out of my backpack which I immediately did and then handed it back to the store manager. He explained the situation clearly and said he wouldn't involve the police since I had cooperated with him up to that point. I had to give him my ID and he noted down my name and address, took a photo of me and then explained that I am banned from the store for 3 months (I feel like I got off pretty lightly here after reading some of the other threads). He explained towards the end of our chat about something called "Civil Recovery" which he noted down on the page and said that they would contact me to pay a fine, I said to him that I was fine to pay whatever as I didn't want to get in any more trouble and then he said I was free to leave and so I did.

I arrived back and thought to get googling to see what this meant and see if anything else can happen and read in multiple locations including this website, that this Civil recovery fine should not be paid and just be ignored as they are in a sense just trying to get it because they think they can.
    I just wanted to get a few clarifications on some of the thoughts and questions go through my head.

1. Should I pay this fine when the letter arrives?
    2. If I do not pay this fine can any further actions be taken, for example could they then get in to contact with the police and something then can go on the record about it? I would prefer to not have anything be put against my name in the sense of the law and rather keep it clean.
    3. Can any other actions be carried out against me regardless in this current state?
    4. Anything else I should know or worry about?

If it helps or assists in anyway as well, i live in the UK and over the age of 18.

Thank you in advance for your replies and hopefully this will sort the mess my head is in currently.
    Tags: None

Its not a fine just a word to scare you ignore the threat others will come on here to inform you better

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X