• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DWF employee theft from employer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWF employee theft from employer

I used to work around 5 months ago for a major retailer in Scotland as an online shopping customer delivery driver. I did load close-to-expiration date products being stored in the back room, which would have otherwise expired due to staff shortages and horrible workload management at the time in the store, and although this does not legitimize theft, I do not feel morally wrong for doing so. I am now here to seek some sort of advice on the legal aspect of it.

One day I was called in by an internal investigator for an investigation meeting, which I did not agree to participate in since my union representative could not be present. I was told that they have allegations of theft (an unknown, never specified amount) and fraud (fraud was meant for taking unauthorized breaks at a home address between deliveries, which these unauthorized breaks they claimed totaled around 360£, which despite being a very specific amount, never get mentioned again in the story). I did not recognize any of these allegations, and we agreed on a postponed investigation meeting appointment. They investigated without me present and sent me recorded mail copies of minutes taken on this meeting conducted, in which they claimed to have footage of me worded: "taking trays out of the van at his home address, and taking it into his home and returning with empty trays" for a total of 4 instances mentioned on the document. There was zero mention of specific items/products that they alleged of me taking. The representative postponed all of these appointments and was suspended pay for around 4 weeks until I formally resigned, I did find another job.

After I finished my employment with them, around a month later I received an unrecorded second class letter from DWF claiming 561£ for the "value of stolen goods" and 878£ for the "cost of your detection and apprehension", totaling 1439£. I received 2 more letters mentioning this amount, but no evidence whatsoever attached to it.

I contacted the union representative, who connected me to their solicitor, but the solicitor denied helping me in the case, saying "we do not advise on criminal matters and as there is not a case arising from employment, we are unable to assist you in your case. I have been told to pass on a recommendation that you find out if there are ongoing criminal investigations and to try and set up a payment plan of some sort for the fines being levied against you."

So now I am back to the union representative and his personal opinion, and now you guys.

My problem with this is that the amount we are talking about has never totaled to this value/quantity and I am being taken advantage of in a way now. I just want to be done with this company, I have no business with them.

1. How likely is it that they reported this to the police? By speaking to the union representative, his brief opinion was it was unlikely to be reported. Is it not likely that if this had been reported, I would have been already in touch with the authorities in the last 2-3 months since I do not officially work there anymore?

2. How would they prove what items and corresponding barcodes were allegedly stolen? These items were not officially in my assigned job driving route (run), therefore not taken from someone else`s order, but rather random long-forgotten back chiller returns even a week before. Although I have not seen the footage myself, I doubt the contents of the trays would be visible on them.

3. "cost of detection and apprehension" Are these legitimate costs that could be enforced? How do they account for these?

4. Is it advisable to respond to these letters at all or, if they want to chase a simple procedure, wait for that?

5. How serious is a letter of this format, without any evidence of this balance, and being unrecorded second-class letters dropped in?

6. I do not live at the address to which they are sending these DWF letters, currently, my ex-flatmate informs me of receiving these. Although they do not know what these letters include, I do not necessarily want to bring harm to them if sheriffs would come looking for me or something.

7. Just in general, what would you do in such a situation as this?

I appreciate your help and thoughts, and I do feel ashamed of my actions, but I do not want to be taken advantage of simply because I feel they are trying.
    Tags: None

The first letter that was sent, and identical 2 followed a similar format.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mike

Welcome to LB

There is an Employment part, i.e. the handling of the investigation, i.e. lack of evidence etc.
      Then there is the DWF part, the £800 odd is just people doing there jobs.
      The remaining amount hasn't been broken down as to what the goods are.

ULA Can you please take a look.

Comment

1. How likely is it that they reported this to the police? By speaking to the union representative, his brief opinion was it was unlikely to be reported. Is it not likely that if this had been reported, I would have been already in touch with the authorities in the last 2-3 months since I do not officially work there anymore?

I don't think they will contact the police, for the same reasons you've posted in the first part of your post, their evidence seems to be lacking in detail. Also the amount claimed isn't 'high'. Some years ago cases went to Court, but the retailer couldn't explain some of their costs i.e. security as that was already in their business model.

2. How would they prove what items and corresponding barcodes were allegedly stolen? These items were not officially in my assigned job driving route (run), therefore not taken from someone else`s order, but rather random long-forgotten back chiller returns even a week before. Although I have not seen the footage myself, I doubt the contents of the trays would be visible on them.

They would need detail / proof from what you say it is lacking. If they have security footage, you are entitled to see it, but you haven't seen it (only noted down in a meeting notes).

3. "cost of detection and apprehension" Are these legitimate costs that could be enforced? How do they account for these?

They aren't legitimate costs, they are 'budgeted' for and are in their 'business model'. That's the whole point of having security to detect and apprehend. If they aren't doing that, what else would they be doing? Stacking shelves?

4. Is it advisable to respond to these letters at all or, if they want to chase a simple procedure, wait for that?

Wait to see if they want to chase via 'simple procedure'.

5.How serious is a letter of this format, without any evidence of this balance, and being unrecorded second-class letters dropped in?

They normally send them out in threes, they are mostly 'templated' and lack details. They are speculate invoices. For the most part they are sent to consumers who 'shoplift' but are 'caught'.

6. I do not live at the address to which they are sending these DWF letters, currently, my ex-flatmate informs me of receiving these. Although they do not know what these letters include, I do not necessarily want to bring harm to them if sheriffs would come looking for me or something.

It is doubtful that 'sheriffs' will come after you, can you not get the post redirected to you, that would put your mind to rest.

7. Just in general, what would you do in such a situation as this?

The advice is to ignore them, there are pre action protocols they need to follow to take to start proceedings i.e. letter before action etc. So you'll have time to reassess the situation and plan forwards.

Comment

Thank you gents, I will keep this case updated.

Comment

I received a similar letter from DWF stating I owe Marks and Spencer’s 5 grand however my situation is that I left the company nearly 2 months ago and now I receive this letter and when I used to work for them there was no mention in the policy of them using a third party to reclaim loss of goods. I was let go by them due to gross misconduct and now the they send me this letter 2 months after I was sacked by them. So my question is should I be worried about my amount what are my options available to me?

Comment

Originally posted by TommyInnit View Post
              I received a similar letter from DWF stating I owe Marks and Spencer’s 5 grand however my situation is that I left the company nearly 2 months ago and now I receive this letter and when I used to work for them there was no mention in the policy of them using a third party to reclaim loss of goods. I was let go by them due to gross misconduct and now the they send me this letter 2 months after I was sacked by them. So my question is should I be worried about my amount what are my options available to me?
              Can you please start your own thread.

Comment

Update: Please, do not close the tread as it will soon be updated and still is active case. Thank you.

Comment

How do I start my own thread?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X