• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Length of ban in Lidl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Length of ban in Lidl

Hello,

Does anyone know how long you can be banned from Lidl?

I got banned for refusing to show a receipt for my purchase to the security guard and a duty manager. I usually take a stance that once I've paid for an item then there is no requirement to show anyone my receipt since they haven't got police stop and search powers. Happy to take the ban for standing up for my own legal rights. Particularly as there are better retailing options.

I do accept Lidl can ban me without giving a reason due to private property. Unfortunately, these days it is getting harder to shop in my local area with low intelligent staff who are trigger happy to ban customers for no good reasons in order to bring some joy to their mundane lives. I also recognise that some retailers have dismantled their complaints service and thus ineffective in dealing with matters.

However, I usually get some satisfaction dragging my bag of shopping from other retailers and just buying one item from Lidl to prove a point. Extra points for purchasing loss leaders. Happy to show them receipts from their competitors.
    Tags: None

They can ban you for as long as they want.

You might better ask how you come to have a policy for such situations. That suggests that it happens more than once and that you expect it to happen again. Having never been stopped, I wonder what might cause i to happen.

What causes them to stop you?

Comment

Whilst Lidl can ban you for as long as they wish,( your lifetime or theirs! ) it doesn't really stop you entering their store!

If you do ignore the ban all they can do if you are discovered, is ask you to leave.
      If you refuse they can use sufficient force to eject you.
      This is because you will be trespassing, a civil tort.

If whilst their you committed a crime (e.g theft) the consequences would be more severe (in this example you could be charged with burglary as opposed to theft)

I have a certain sympathy with your bloody mindness about the atittude of some (not all) "secrity" personnel.
      We have reports on here about people being mistakenly accused of theft, and then being intimidated, threatened and their rights ignored by people who think they have more authority than they actually have.
      SIA accredited security should know better

Comment

Write to their 'head office' if you think you are being 'victimized'.

At the end of the day, I doubt they want to lose customers for 'petty reasons'.

Comment

Originally posted by dslippy View Post
          They can ban you for as long as they want.

You might better ask how you come to have a policy for such situations. That suggests that it happens more than once and that you expect it to happen again. Having never been stopped, I wonder what might cause i to happen.

What causes them to stop you?
          I could find out from customer services but they would hold you for ransom for your personal data.

Unfortunately, I live in a part of London where these things do happen a lot. I never experienced a single problem outside of the area. I'm in my mid fifties and the whole myriad of issues only started in the last eight years.

There seems to be a problem with security guards from a certain nationality. I can't reveal that nationality on this board as there are equality laws. I support the equalities agenda but sometimes it does get in the way of getting to the root of the problem. Also, the bigger the store, the fewer the issues.

So just the recap, the factors triggering issues with security guards are area, nationality of guards, and size of store.

ETA:

As for my own behaviour, I tend to shop in multiple stores as I'm more of a discerning shopper. This isn't a problem for most retailers but it is a problem with the factors listed above.

Last edited by Hot_Juice; 10th July 2022, 10:34:AM. Reason: Edited to add more information.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

Whilst Lidl can ban you for as long as they wish,( your lifetime or theirs! ) it doesn't really stop you entering their store!

If you do ignore the ban all they can do if you are discovered, is ask you to leave.
            If you refuse they can use sufficient force to eject you.
            This is because you will be trespassing, a civil tort.

If whilst their you committed a crime (e.g theft) the consequences would be more severe (in this example you could be charged with burglary as opposed to theft)

I have a certain sympathy with your bloody mindness about the atittude of some (not all) "secrity" personnel.
            We have reports on here about people being mistakenly accused of theft, and then being intimidated, threatened and their rights ignored by people who think they have more authority than they actually have.
            SIA accredited security should know better
            Yesterday, I've told the staff that trespassing is a civil yet they think it is a criminal matter. It doesn't help if some police officers perpetuate the myth that trespassing is a criminal matter to them.

I'm also aware of some of the SIA rules such as there's no requirement for the public to talk to security guards. Sensible rules considering most security guards have poor grasp of the law. However, there are some really good security guards who know the law and pleasure to talk to as well.

Sainsbury's managers and their staff have told me that banned shoplifters continue to shop in their stores.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
              Write to their 'head office' if you think you are being 'victimized'.

At the end of the day, I doubt they want to lose customers for 'petty reasons'.
              I don't think I was 'victimised', it was a case of sticking up for my lawful rights against poor security and corporate values.

Do the staff care about losing customers? Not really. They don't have a process for appeals.
              Last edited by Hot_Juice; 10th July 2022, 11:16:AM.

Comment

Not sure this is the right part of the board to discuss the following complaint about 999 staff:
                • A communication officer, a civillian staff masquerading as a police officer - an actual criminal offence
                • Staff, possibly a police officer, who implied trespassing was a criminal matter.
                One of the managers decided to call the police after I refused to leave the store. This was done purely to embarrass the store staff on their understanding of the stop and search law and trespassing being a civil matter.

I was later surrounded by four Lidl store staff and a security guard where they threatened to drag me out. I left voluntarily as being violent wasn't going to be helpful to my own wellbeing or possibly future employment prospects.

Comment

There are circumstances in England & Wales where trespass is a criminal offence ( Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 Sections 61 and 62 )
                  but unless you are squatting in their store or driving round it in convoy I doubt that even the boys in blue could make a charge out of your actions.

I do admire you for standing up for your rights, but I do wonder if it is worth the effort, but of course if one doesn't stand up those rights become eroded.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                    There are circumstances in England & Wales where trespass is a criminal offence ( Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 Sections 61 and 62 )
                    but unless you are squatting in their store or driving round it in convoy I doubt that even the boys in blue could make a charge out of your actions.

I do admire you for standing up for your rights, but I do wonder if it is worth the effort, but of course if one doesn't stand up those rights become eroded.
                    I think it's always worth the effort to stand up for your rights. People have died defending your freedom.

Comment

Dear All,

Thought I update this thread with new information.

I've managed to get the ban lifted after contacting the security company almost two weeks ago. They had no evidence of wrong doing and they had a word with the security guard about his decision making. However, he's not been seen in the store for about a fortnight.

Yesterday, I've managed to have a quick word with one of their area managers and he said they don't have a policy where you can be banned for refusing to show your receipt.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X