• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

RLP and stealing from employer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RLP and stealing from employer

I was found shoplifting from my previous employer - totalling about £200 i refunded back onto my card. accepted simple caution by police however was told i would get a civil recovery letter, i still havent revieved this but am waitint for it. Will i have to pay this? And will i have to pay back the 200 i stole plus a fine or just the fine?

Tags: None

Hello,
    I know this doesn't answer your question but I have just been accused of stealing from my employer too and I did it, even though they're still investigating. I need to ask a few questions as we are in the same boat and you know how much stress this can cause.

Did they need to investigate or did you admit guilt immediately?
    How did the police act with you?
    Did your employer call the police immediately?
    Did you pay back the 200 already?

To help answer your question, from what I have read, you need to pay the 200 and also the cost it took to investigate you. Please help answer mine too as I am very worried.

Comment

Hi.

id left the company so the police contacted me directly, the police were fine with me, very casual. I had to go to police station on a different occasion for dna etc but that is common practise.
      How did you steal? If you are on CCTV, admit immediately as they can take it much further if you deny.
      I didnt pay the 200 baxk - when i spoke to the police i said id pay back what i stole but she said ill get it civilly recovered. Still recieved nothing.

my advice would probably be to leave the company as ive heard the interrogation from employers is 10x worse than the police. The police didnt ask me all of the questions my previous employer wanted to ask me

hope thia helps

Comment

Thanks for the response. It was my last day at work so I also have left the company, and I took 20 from the register. They already took the 20 back and said they'll pass it to RLP. It probably is on CCTV but I thought if I go back today to the shop and just apologise, maybe they won't call the police. Did the police send you a letter or come and get you?

Can I ask who you worked for? Was it a big retail firm or independent? I feel its harder if they're big like the one I worked for.

Comment

Yeah i worked at a big retail store - boots.

Where did you work? I feel the big ones do take it much further

Comment

Also boots coincedentally. I think I am going to apologise today, I feel bad enough, I just hope they don't call the police and I can pay the fine and move on. I have to ask just one more thing, when they caught you, were you at work, and did they call police immediately to come meet you? or did the police send a letter to you?

Comment

The police rang me and asked me to come in so i met them pretty much immediately. They didnt catch me until about 2 month after

Comment

Can I also ask when it was that you stole, just to get a time frame?

I was told today that I cannot speak to a manager as I am under investigation, so I cannot apologise, which I think is a bit harsh too. Did anyone advise you not to accept the caution? A friend told me they are not just a slap on the wrist

Comment

This is going to become confusing with two different situations on one thread!!!!!!!!

Notram865 : suggest you pay back the £200 directly.
                  When you receive your letter from RLP post up here.
                  The likely advice will be to ignore. but let us see what they threaten (note that we no longer send people to Australia!)

Note that a caution, whilst not a criminal conviction, can show on standard and enhanced DBS checks

Christen : they have got their £20 back, so no need to go back in and apologise.
                  The police are very unlikely to be called in now.
                  If you are called in to see them, don't go alone.
                  either take your own solicitor or ask for the duty solicitor (free) to be present.
                  it is possible they don't have enough evidence to take the matter to court (and it is very minor) so it may be possible to avoid even a caution
                  RLP do not levy fines (only courts issue fines)
                  RLP make extravagant demands for recompense.

Comment

des8 Update - I called my manager today, not giving anything away, and she said to speak to the investigator at the loss and audit team (it seems they haven't contacted RLP yet). I text him just now asking to help with the investigation - my intention was to apologise before seeing this - but I said no more than that.

I really have to ask, why do you think the police are very unlikely to be called in? How can I be sure? Will apologising not increase the chances the police won't be called in?

My plan regarding the police would be to admit guilt and plead as it is very minor, they only give me a fixed penalty notice or something. I don't really know what I'm doing and I would really appreciate if you could help me some more please. Are you a solicitor or legal professional or something of the sorts?

Comment

I want to presume that they do have evidence. Just in case. There is a camera over the register and the till will say something is missing I think, not to mention they found cash on my person.

Comment

Christen Just seen your other thread.
                        Asking Kati Amethyst if they can transfer copy of post 9 plus posts 10 & 11 to your thread https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...i-am-terrified
                        ​​​​​​​Must try and keep things separate!

Comment

des8 thank you, hopefully we can talk some more on there

Comment

des8 i have no way of paying it back directly as i asked the police if i could just pay back what i took and they said RLP are handling it so i just have to wait for that? Does that sound normal?

i was only ‘simply’ cautioned so they are spent immediately & filtered from DBS - phew!!

Comment

Christen it was in october. A caution and a simple caution are 2 different things so if i did it again id be cautioned which stays on record for 6 years whereas a simple caution only appears on police systems if i reoffend - the police explained this pretty well

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X