• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shoplifting & RLM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoplifting & RLM

Hi - I did write a post on Tuesday but I can't find it, so maybe I did it wrong! I was in state!
    I have been through a lot of stress just lately and I know it is no excuse for what I did on Monday evening. I did a grocery shop at Waitrose. I remember getting a coffee & the rest is a complete blur. I used the self scanning device. I paid for my things & left. Two plain store detectives approached me outside & said they believed I had not paid for everything in my trolley. It was like being woken from a deep sleep. I was taken back into the store. Oh the humiliation! I was interviewed & the manager asked for the police to be called. My brain was like mush. The police eventually arrived & they let me go but I have to go next week for a voluntary interview at the station.
    I was give a piece of paper explaining that RLM will be contacting me in the next few weeks with a fine. I have read a few things on here telling people not to pay them. I was told NOT to ignore it by the guys. I felt rather threatened. All the products were returned back to the shelves - confirmed by the manager.
    The next day I had a complete meltdown & had to see my GP as an emergency. He is going to do a letter for the police to explain the amount of personal stress I have recently been under & that I have never broken the law before. He has also signed me off work & given me some Diazepam to calm me down. I am a complete wreck.
    I am so worried that I will have to go to court. The amount taken was 120.00. The awful, frightening thing is, I honestly cannot remember the shop. The doctor said I am having a form of break down.
    Can only one please help put my mind a little at ease. I know I've done wrong but it was not intentional. Thanks.
    Tags: None

Only the courts can fine you, not some random company. There has been no loss, you ignore any letters that com from RLM (?)

I doubt that the police will take any further action that will result in court. RLM certainly will not be doing so, they have no authority to do so.

Comment

Hi and welcome.
      As ostell ignore all RLM's letters and don't let them stress you out.

When you attend the "voluntary" interview with the police do not go unaccompanied.
      Either take your own solicitor with you or ask that the duty solicitor be present.
      The duty solicitor will not cost you anything.
      Do not be persuaded by the police that you do not need a solicitor.
      If they say that you only need to tell the truth and it will all be all right, don't believe them.
      The police are not necessarily your friends .
      However they are not your enemies, so don't be frightened , but do use a solicitor to ensure your rights are preserved.

This would be considered a low value shoplifting offence, and in view of the circumstances should IMO be dealt with very leniently, but be guided by your solicitor when talking to the police

Comment

Thank you for your advice. It has helped ease my worries. My husband is going with me and I am taking up the offer of the duty solicitor. My GP has also done me a letter to take with me, stating that my state of mind was in turmoil and my actions were completely out of character.
        THANK YOU x

Comment

I had my voluntary interview with the police yesterday and a lovely duty solicitor.I was interviewed under caution. I answered as best I honestly could. Some of the questions I could not remember, and told them this.
          The police are going back to Waitrose for more CTV images. I'm really worried but the solicitor told me not to worry. This is like a dark cloud hanging over me. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow.
          I am fearing the worst but everyone keeps telling me not to worry.
          Any advice??

Comment

Obviously you are going to be worried.
            You don't appear to be a hardened criminal, so finding yourself in this situation is going to be frightening.

However you certainly won't be going to gaol, and I would be surprised if the matter even went to court but if it did it would probably be a postal process and providing you enter a guilty plea by post you would not need to attend
            Look at the mitigating circumstances 1) Low value
            2)first offence
            3)mental health problem due to stress
            It could well be the police decide it is not in the public interest to pursue the matter further, although a lot will depend on Waitrose

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
              Obviously you are going to be worried.
              You don't appear to be a hardened criminal, so finding yourself in this situation is going to be frightening.

However you certainly won't be going to gaol, and I would be surprised if the matter even went to court but if it did it would probably be a postal process and providing you enter a guilty plea by post you would not need to attend
              Look at the mitigating circumstances 1) Low value
              2)first offence
              3)mental health problem due to stress
              It could well be the police decide it is not in the public interest to pursue the matter further, although a lot will depend on Waitrose

Thank you for your reply.
              The police said that Waitrose are leaving it up to the police - not sure if this is true or not.
              I am trying to stop worrying but I am finding it very hard.

What makes me v cross is that a few years ago, my Mum had a diamond ring stolen at her nursing home. It had been put for safekeeping in lockable drugs cupboard. I had my suspicions at the time who took it. The police were not that interested - apparently they did not have the manpower to come and interview 30 members of staff - which could have been easily narrowed down to who had access to the drug's cupboard. It was not of huge value (approx 1k) but it was invaluable sentimently. My Mum is 87 now and still cries over that ring - she was moved very quickly from that home and is safe in her new home. I felt so let down by the police then and I now I feel I am easy pickings for them.

Comment

Well everything went very quiet and then today I have received a letter instructing me to go the Magistrates Court at the end of this month. I nearly collapsed on the floor. I am so worried.
                It does say in the letter that if I pleaded guilty the charged could be reduced by a third. I have never denied doing the offence but I was not in a good place when this happened. I have since had counselling and help from my doctor with medication. He said I had had a breakdown. I was starting to feel better but now this has really thrown me. I couldn't cope if I went to jail. I know I am panicking!
                Any advice - should I plead guilty before the case? Will I still have to go to court?
                Oh the shame!

Comment

So you need to take along the medical evidence to show that you were under stress and receiving treatment as mitigation. As a first time offence you will not be going to jail.

Comment

I am very surprised to hear that.

Do you have the option of pleading guilty by post?
                    If you can do that you will probably not have to attend court.
                    With your plea enclose a covering letter explaining the mitigating circumstances, together if possible with a letter from your doctor.
                    Also of course apologise.

You might find it reassuring to have a chat with a local solicitor.
                    A short initial consultation might be arranged free of charge, or for a minimal fee.

You will not be going to jail.

Comment

Thank you both. The solicitor who I saw at the police station should have rung me today, but he didn't. I can't help worrying.

My doctor did do a letter initially, which the police took a copy of. I could ask him to do another one stating that I have seeked help for my low mood etc.

The summons says I can plead guilty before the court date, so I presume this will be via post. A couple of people who I have known for many years, and worked with, have both said they would do a character letter - would that help as well? I used to be a volunteer first responder. I have never been in trouble before - not even a parking or speeding fine. I can't believe I am in this mess.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post - they have helped calm me down, a little.

Comment

Glad to hear you are a little calmer now.

As it has progressed to court, you are now in a damage limitation situation.
                        So yes, get it in front of the magistrates your past civic help as a first responder, your doctor's support, your character witnesses letters.
                        Apologise for an act far out of character, etc etc
                        But do consult with a solicitor

Have you been charged under s176 of the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act.

As you seem to have the choice of making a guilty plea by post you will unlikely to receive either a custodial or community charge sentence.
                        If those sentences were in contemplation your presence would be required in court.

Comment

Hello - can't sleep! Hence late message.

Charges are - LEGISLATION 'Contrary to section 1(1) and 7 of the Theft Act 1968
                          - CCCJS CODE : 'TH68010'

I've had a little google and managed to get confused but I think it means I will receive a recordable charge and fined 90.00

Just hoping the solicitor will ring me tomorrow, as the promised phone call on Friday never happened, which was very disappointing.

Comment

Morning!

Please try and keep calm and keep this in perspective.

You may or may not be fined, you may even be lucky and only get a conditional discharge,

Comment

Thanks - I'm a proper worrier! Still not heard from the solicitor, so I will ring him, again, in the morning.

Your support on here is very welcome!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X