• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Stopped for shoplifting at Tesco - no excuses just a question - awaiting DWF letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopped for shoplifting at Tesco - no excuses just a question - awaiting DWF letter

Hello. I have done something really really stupid. I don't know why I did it, no excuse at all and I got caught. I attempted to steal random items from Tesco today (didn't even need them - crazy behaviour) and they stopped me leaving the store and asked did I know why I had been stopped. I said yes and they took me to the back room (read a few similar stories on here). My theft was intentional I knew I was doing it and I don't know if I almost wanted to get caught (not in a great place emotionally right now but as I say it is no excuse).

I have never done anything like this before but I was walking around and blatantly put 5 items in my bag not in my basket that I was also carrying (total value of £37). The security lady who monitored the CCTV in the back room said she had seen me and had followed me on CCTV from the makeup aisle (apparently very common for thieves to target). They looked through my bag were satisfied that the items I gave them and admitted to shoplifting were what she had seen me take.

They didn't phone the police but said to expect a letter from DWF with a demand for payment. I actually was very grateful to them - was shaking and crying when I got to my car. I felt they had been kind and "let me off lightly" - was in there for about 20 minutes.

They said I would be banned from Tesco for a year. Kept my clubcard and told me I would have to reapply if I decided I wanted to in a year's time. They also took my driving licence and took some details from there and the security guard from the store entrance took a photo of me on his phone. I am assuming they will circulate that to all local stores to ensure I don't go in or am flagged as a shoplifter (cannot believe I am even typing this..)?

Having read threads about these letters and Tesco not getting anything from it, I am now wondering if Tesco will get any of the money I get "fined" from DWF. To be clear, I do feel I should pay as I did commit the crime. They have CCTV evidence of me commiting the crime and quite simply I shouldn't have done it. First and last time that will happen I can tell you....

But the threads on here about RLP all say ignore letters as they are not legal. I am not sure what I am asking really - I feel I should pay as I was totally at fault but equally if these companies are not ethical (says me.... the irony hey) then should I pay or ignore?

Also am I right in that because the police were not called this is not a criminal matter (no criminal record)?

Thank you.
    Last edited by FEATHERSUK; 13th February 2018, 17:44:PM.

Oh bless you. Hey, we all do daft things at times, and there's usually something else behind it. Might be worth getting yourself in to see your GP for a chat - it sounds like this was entirely out of character and has you shook up a little bit, and there's plenty of help about if you're struggling. I've been there and even just having it recognised set me on the road to being better xxx

You're right, there's no criminal record, and DWF are unlikely to do more than send you a few stroppy, scary letters. It can be upsetting to be dealing with so completely understand people paying it, assuage the guilt or just get it off your back etc, but it is unlikely every to go any further than some mean letters. Money wise, remember it's not a fine.... but I believe Tesco do get a 'cut' of the money obtained from 'shoplifters' - pretty sure DWF/ RLP etc get quite a hefty share tho.

The picture I think they just stick them on the banned 'wall' - just stick with Lidl ( or Aldi - apparently the new No1 supermarket followed by Marks&Sparks weirdly ( and expensively) ) I don';t think they'd pounce on you if you did go in, but probably best just to shop elsewhere.

des8
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank you Amethyst it is entirely out of character. I have been reading alot this afternoon since the incident and I think I may be depressed which is very hard to admit to.... no motivation, not bothered about things, knowing actions have consequences and still doing them.... I'll get an appointment with my GP to discuss things. I will avoid Tesco as they've said - crikey I hope they don't circulate to other retailers - maybe I need to shop online!

I think the fact they have the CCTV would make me pay I would be frightened it would go further which is what I suppose they rely on! Thanks again for your quick response

Comment

It won't go further or to the police. they recovered the goods, and have no loss, and the security staff were just doing their jobs ( as they are paid to do so there is no loss to the store ). They would only circulate anything to other retailers if they were, for example, inside a shopping centre where they have a sharing scheme in place.

Don't resort to shopping online.... unless you just hate shopping anyway ... it's all too easy to end up not leaving the house once you start with that. Lidl is cheaper than Tesco anyway and there's less choice, and less shiny things to catch your eye and overspend on ( or nick lol ) and oddly I enjoy the 'can you cram it in the bag quick enough' game you play at the checkout .... haha.

You sound a bit like I did, everything was a bit 'meh!' and I did weird stuff to get less 'meh!' - don't beat yourself up about it Do go see GP though, even if they take 6 weeks to give you an appt, it does help, tell them about this episode, they won't judge you for it xxx

Have a read of the letters at the top of this forum so you know what to expect - DWF are less mean and threatening than RLP, but seem to feel more 'formal' in some ways. Completely up to you how you deal with it, but if you ignore, ignore totally, don't contact them and tell them you're going to ignore them or they know they have a hook.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks so much - hahaha and for making me laugh!!!! I will see if I am brave enough to ride it out!!!!! Really appreciate your responses

Comment

I agree with everything Amethyst has said.

I would encourage you to ignore DWF.
            What they are doing is not "illegal", but IMO it is at least amoral.
            In the UK we have a civil justice system which enables someone who has suffered a loss to make a claim for restitution.
            This ensures that the injured doesn't lose, but that the perpetrator is not punished.
            Punishment is handled under the criminal system of justice.
            DWF and similar companies set themselves as judge and jury and send out invoices for sums of money which bear no relationship to the amount lost.
            They dress them up in legalese, and imply that failure to pay those amounts will be met with further more severe action.
            These letters are being sent to vulnerable people, and are solely to pressurise them into paying extortionate sums.
            The senders are no better than vigilantes.
            Follow Amethyst's advice.to totally ignore (and see your GP)
            Good luck

Comment

Thank you all so much - I am mortified at what I did and I am worried about what the security guard who took my photo (after the security CCTV viewer gave me the civil recovery note) will do with it. I know they have banned me from Tesco for a year but why would he have my photo on his phone? Name and shame wall? Who will they share it with? Other Tesco stores or other people? I feel sick every time I think about what I have done.

Comment

Don't worry about that photo.
                It will remain in store for identification purposes only.
                It won't be shared with other companies or published in any way

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X