• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

(Another)faulty car purchase.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Another)faulty car purchase.

Sorry this is gonna be long.
    Last weds I exchanged my 2012 Peugeot 308 for a 2006 Vauxhall van plus cash. I went to a dealer who has been on the same plot for over 20 years, hoping this meant he was reputable. The agreement, when I gave him £100 deposit , was we would do an exchange. He got my newer car an I got the van plus £1500. He tells me it's got a long MOT, It was well looked after by an antique dealer so never drove close to payload.
    The trouble started when I returned that afternoon. I should have walked away then and there but I needed the van and I'd paid for insurance.
    When I arrived back that afternoon the dealer claimed he didn't hear about the £1500! After some friendly words I accepted his excuse of old age and hard of hearing and took settled for £700.
    9 days on and probably only 200 miles, I drive round the corner and the clutch goes!
    Visited the dealer the very next morning who initially says he will sort it out but it's bank holiday so will have to wait til Tuesday..... which was fine but just as I leave he says "I'll get permission from the guy and the work will go ahead if he's happy" .......turns out , or this is the story, the cat was nothing to do with the forecourt. That he was selling it for a friend. Anyway. I wait till this morning to find out what's what only to get threatened by the dealer and then the "owner" rings me claiming to be a traveller and he's not happy how I've spoken to Barry (dealer), that he don't have to sort anything as it was sold as seen. The car is nothing to do with Barry.
    To get me off the phone he says his mechanic will ring but obviously that ain't happened.
    I can't be without the van so I'm paying to get it done tomorrow. Can I claim this back?
    How can I make sure these scum cease trading. Barry claims he's just works at the cafe attached and helps out with the cars but he's been there decades. Selling cars. I've eaten in the cafe numerous times. He owns it. Not works in it!
    Tags: None

Re: (Another)faulty car purchase.

Any paperwork at all?

Comment

Yes,The log book and service history.

Comment

I actually meant receipts etc.

You actually purchased the van, and negotiated the deal, on the dealers premises?
        He did not state he was selling on behalf of a third party?
        In that case IMO you bought from the dealer and have the protection that affords you.

You could reject the car and demand a refund, and if you fail to get it, proceed to court.
        However in the meantime you have to stop using the vehicle, and put up with their threats.
        Also will this guy actually have any assets available to pay a court judgement? They can be good at having nothing!!

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          I actually meant receipts etc.

You actually purchased the van, and negotiated the deal, on the dealers premises?
          He did not state he was selling on behalf of a third party?
          In that case IMO you bought from the dealer and have the protection that affords you.

You could reject the car and demand a refund, and if you fail to get it, proceed to court.
          However in the meantime you have to stop using the vehicle, and put up with their threats.
          Also will this guy actually have any assets available to pay a court judgement? They can be good at having nothing!!
          Why do you have to stop using the vehicle?

Comment

Because you have rejected it!
            To continue using it,( and risk an accident) will place your rejection in jeopardy, as the dealer could argue that in effect by continuing to use it you had not rejected it.
            If it is absolutely necessary and unavoidable that you continue to use the car, IMO it would be wise to advise the dealer

Comment

Save from agreeing with the seller to waive, it's impossible to waive one's short-term right to reject, so I can't agree with your advice on that point.

Comment

damage the vehicle or write it off and see what happens to your rejection!

It was pragmatic advice that you will also find on other consumer sites
                eg http://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/new-la...ra-protection/

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                  damage the vehicle or write it off and see what happens to your rejection!

It was pragmatic advice that you will also find on other consumer sites
                  eg http://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/new-la...ra-protection/
                  Yes, obviously, but your post is misleading.

You say: "However in the meantime you have to stop using the vehicle"

You don't *have* to at all. I'm simply clarifying a misleading statement. If I thought I had to stop using my car following the short term RTR, I'd be pretty annoyed!

Comment

sorry I wrote too quickly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X