• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dogs Trust

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogs Trust

Hi I hope someone can help with this question and I hope it is the correct place to post it.

We went to Dogs Trust Harefield to adopt another dog and were shocked by the ignorance and rudeness that was shown to us. Especially towards the children.

My 3 kids ended up in tears over this. The reason being is that they were told the following and although I think its wrong I would like it confirmed before complaining.

Dogs Trust stated that under 16s can not own pets especially dogs. Is this correct?

They also stated that it is illegal for under 16s to walk dogs on a lead even with adults?

They also went on about neutering informing the kids, 2 of which were under 10 that the dogs should be neutered or have medical problems.

Can anyone confirm the 2 questions above also any ideas of how to complain would help.

Normally I would not complain especially as its a charity but upsetting young children simply is wrong.
    Tags: None

Re: Dogs Trust

Hello DogLover007,
    As I'm typing, our Great Dane is fast asleep next to me on "his" sofa in the conservatory.
    All is good in the world when you have a loyal pet, so I know precisely how you feel.
    To answer your questions:
    Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 you can only own a pet legally from age 16, however if you're under 16 your parent or guardian is legally responsible for the animal. Dogs are no different to any other animal.
    Nothing in law to say who can walk a dog on the lead. Just that the parent or guardian is responsible.

My dog would be mortified if I had him neutered. What would he lick all day when I'm out?
    There are no medical problems associated with lack of neutering. Indeed, if every dog were neutered there'd be no dogs.
    The species has evolved over thousands of years without human intervention (as wolves) and then as fine breeds with human interbreeding, if you know what I mean.

I know I'm being light-hearted with you but I've given you the legal answers. I'm really sorry that the Dog's Trust has upset everyone. You could write to their CEO or make an appointment to go and see the senior manager at the place you visited.

If at first you don't succeed, go somewhere else. Most professional organisations are only too happy to unite a dog and his family.

Comment

Originally posted by DogLover007 View Post
      Hi I hope someone can help with this question and I hope it is the correct place to post it.

We went to Dogs Trust Harefield to adopt another dog and were shocked by the ignorance and rudeness that was shown to us. Especially towards the children.

My 3 kids ended up in tears over this. The reason being is that they were told the following and although I think its wrong I would like it confirmed before complaining.

Dogs Trust stated that under 16s can not own pets especially dogs. Is this correct?

They also stated that it is illegal for under 16s to walk dogs on a lead even with adults?

They also went on about neutering informing the kids, 2 of which were under 10 that the dogs should be neutered or have medical problems.

Can anyone confirm the 2 questions above also any ideas of how to complain would help.

Normally I would not complain especially as its a charity but upsetting young children simply is wrong.

I myself do not agree that the charity was anything but honest.

You must be over 16 to buy or adopt a pet.
      Every dog to be adopted will be neutered so as to help the recurring problems of over breeding.
      Any known medical problems will be discussed and the charity assured you are fully aware of costs and care of such before adoption is allowed.
      As for walking dogs on a lead under the age of 16 am not sure as to the law on this,but I would imagine that what ever (if anything) were to happen in this instance the parent/guardian would be held responsible

Comment

I'm afraid that I disagree, enaid.
        The Law specifically says:
        Animals cannot be sold to children under 16 years outside a family context - s11(1), s11(6). Animals cannot be given as prizes to children under 16 years - s11(3)(b).
        This was clearly a family context.
        If this Trust has a policy of only selling neutered dogs, I advise going elsewhere. There are no known health issues with not neutering and for them to say that is false.
        I am sure what the law says about dog walking.
        It's just as I have written.

Comment

I have never known a responsible animal charity to have unneutered dogs up for adoption and if they do they should not be registered imho

This from Battersea one of our biggest dog rehoming charities, where very rarely as expected pets are not neutered before adoption, even rabbits etc get the snip

Your new pet will have up-to-date vaccinations and a veterinary nurse will advise you on any other health care considerations. In addition you receive four weeks’ free pet insurance and you are entitled to three months' out-patient veterinary care for any condition relating to your pet’s stay in the Home. Most dogs and cats are neutered; any animal that hasn’t been neutered is issued with an operation appointment to return. Every animal is also microchipped to help future identification.

Comment

Hi,

Sean5302 Thanks for your help with this.

Even if dogs trust were correct with the walking which they seem not to be.

They should never tell children they can not have pets and they should never leave children in such an upset state they are in tears. This is unforgivable.

We have a dog also a Great Dane who is 2 years old. Dogs trust said to the kids he would have medical problems if not neutered and he should be neutered. This upset the kids and apart from being rubbish should not have been said in front of them.

This was said knowing that our Westie died 2 months ago. We were after a small dog as s replacement.

It was also the whole attitude of the member of staff helping us. In my view she knew nothing about dogs also.

I will get my complaint off on Tuesday.

Comment

We all have opinions.
              It is completely unacceptable for a charity to upset a family, out to adopt or buy a dog.
              Completely wrong to mislead them as to what the law says or to claim medical reasons that don't exist.
              Some breeds are grossly in need of population reduction. Many are not. Great Danes, for example.
              The RSPCA has recently learned the hard way that people don't take well to being dictated to. They have lost millions of donations as a result of Left-wing prosecutions.
              A responsible owner looks after their dog.
              My Dane is treated as a member of the family. He thinks he's human. I wouldn't dream of neutering him.
              Am I an irresponsible owner, to be lied to by someone at a charity?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by DogLover007 View Post
              Hi,

Sean5302 Thanks for your help with this.

Delighted with your response.

We normally stick together on the Forum, with a deep wish to help people.
              I'm sorry you had to see this today.

Comment

I will just say and my last word on this, an unneutered Great Dane being allowed to accept an unnuetered other dog into the household is not my idea of an ideal new adoption home for various reasons let alone a health one.

Comment

Hi Enaid,

The key point here is that Children should never be left in distress after they are thinking of such a happy time of going to get another pet.

Children see pets as loved ones and to be told there loved one could have medical problems and die early is morally wrong, regardless of whether neutering is correct or not.

We have always had 1 to 3 dogs varying in sizes and all males. Normally a Big, medium and small but now with kids just 2 big and small. Never have we had them Neutered. They have all lived happy long lives together and never had any issues at all.

Also dogs trust were going to reserve the dog for us subject to dog meets. However due to the above the kids do not want Dilbert, our dog going there. We left as the kids were so distressed.

Comment

What I do know is this, DogLover007,
                    whatever dogs you have will be loved, cherished and looked after.
                    The very fact that you have taken the trouble to find out what the Law actually does say shows me that you're a responsible owner.
                    I'd be mortified if anyone had upset my family in the way you described.
                    By the way, the best place I've found for Great Dane rehoming is the Great Dane Adoption Society. GDAS.
                    www.danes.org.uk
                    Joy Ledingham is their rehoming officer. The most knowledgeable woman I ever met about dogs in general.

Very nice to hear / read from you. You know where we are if you want to come back. Please do.

Comment

Hmm! lots of misunderstandings and poor people skills by the peeps at the trust.

Not discussing the law relating to ownership, but the tendency of most animal charities to only allow neutered animals to be rehomed.
                      1) they regard any entire dog/cat to be the source of yet more unwanted animals entering their portals.
                      The problem is that the female in oestrus can be scented by the male at a great distance, and it becomes difficult (not impossible!) to keep the animals confined at this time. A fence that is normally satisfactory is no longer a barrier. The result may well be an unwanted litter.
                      2) Re the possible medical problems: certainly un neutered dogs who have not been allowed to mate suffer more often from testicular tumours, enlarged prostates, perianal tumours.

Unless the animal is required for show or breeding purposes I really don't understand why peeps object to neutering.
                      If neutered, the overpowering urge to mate is removed. To allow them to remain entire and then prevent a mating must be a torture for them.

And yes we have bred and shown cats and dogs over several years, and worked hard to dampen the signs of oestrus for both the animals' sakes and our own!

Comment

I will leave this on here for you and others to read on the pros and cons of neutering

http://www.critterchatter.com/health...ay-neuter.html

Comment

Post 8

Originally posted by enaid View Post
                          I will just say and my last word on this, .
                          Post 12.
                          enaid
                          LB Team Member

Hmm.

Comment

Originally posted by sean5302 View Post
                            Post 8

Post 12.
                            enaid
                            LB Team Member

Hmm.
                            What I said 'my last word' meaning my opinion advice or help a different matter

Comment

Ever heard the phrase:
                              "Say what you do.
                              Do what you say".

You are the only person to ever publicly disagree with me, on a public forum, upon a matter of law which I know to be absolutely correct.
                              You should be ashamed of yourself.
                              We have had Great Danes for the past 35 years so I made certain of the law.
                              Anything that happens with a massive dog is always viewed as being the fault of such a dog.
                              Essential, then, for such a dog's owner to know the law.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X